Near the churchyard, and in the middle of a garden,
靠近教堂院子和一個花園的中間,
stood a well-built though small house, which I had no doubt was the parsonage.
有一所雖然不大但建造得很好的房子,我確信那是牧師的住所。
I remembered that strangers who arrive at a place where they have no friends, and who want employment,
我想起來,陌生人到了一個無親無故的地方,想找個工作,
sometimes apply to the clergyman for introduction and aid.
有時會去找牧師引薦和幫助。
It is the clergyman's function to help -- at least with advice -- those who wished to help themselves.
給那些希望自立的人幫忙--至少是出主意是牧師份內的事兒。
I seemed to have something like a right to seek counsel here.
我似乎有某種權利上那兒去聽主意。
Renewing then my courage, and gathering my feeble remains of strength, I pushed on.
于是我鼓起勇氣,集中起一點點殘留的力氣,奮力往前走去。
I reached the house, and knocked at the kitchen-door.
我到了房子跟前,敲了敲廚房的門。
An old woman opened: I asked was this the parsonage? "Yes."
一位老婦開了門,我問她這是不是牧師的住所。“是的。”
"Was the clergyman in?" "No."
“牧師在嗎?” “沒有。”
"Would he be in soon?"
“很快會回來嗎?”
"No, he was gone from home." "To a distance?"
“不,他離開家了。” “去很遠的地方?”
"Not so far -- happen three mile. He had been called away by the sudden death of his father:
“不太遠--三英里。他因為父親突然去世被叫走了,
he was at Marsh End now, and would very likely stay there a fortnight longer."
眼下住在沼澤居,很可能還要再呆上兩周。”
"Was there any lady of the house?"
“家里有哪位小姐在嗎?”
"Nay, there was naught but her, and she was housekeeper;"
“沒有,除了我沒有別人,而我是管家。”
and of her, reader, I could not bear to ask the relief for want of which I was sinking;
讀者呀,我不忍求她幫我擺脫越陷越深的困境,
I could not yet beg; and again I crawled away.
而我又不能乞討,于是我再次退縮。