The subjects have been alone for only a short time.
受試者們獨自在黑屋的時間還不算長。
Across the globe, thousands of prisoners are held in solitary confinement for vastly longer periods of time.
縱觀全球,成千上萬囚犯被單獨監禁的時間可比這長多了。
In America alone, there are 20,000 such inmates.
單在美國,就有2萬名此類犯人。
62-year-old Paris Carriger was found guilty of murder
62歲的巴里·卡里杰因謀殺罪
and sentenced by an Arizona court to 100 years in prison and the death penalty.
被亞利桑那州一間法院判處100年監禁和死刑。
I have spent several years off and on in a standard isolation cell.
我曾斷斷續續地在一間標準隔離牢房里呆過好幾年。
What that means is that this is a cell approximately six feet by eight feet.
我的意思是那間隔離室面積大約是6英尺X8英尺。
It is a place where you're kept in the dark.
那個地方漆黑一片。
The times that you were spending at that time was 10 to 15 days out of stretch.
當時,單獨監禁期一次是10到15天。
By law, they couldn't leave you in more than 15 days
法律規定,單獨監禁一次不得超過15天,
without taking you out for four before they put you back in.
且兩次單獨監禁之間至少要隔四天。