Generation after generation, students here have shown that same grit,
一代又一代的傳承,塔斯基吉的學生用實踐證明,
that same resilience to soar past obstacles and outrages -- past the threat of countryside lynchings;
唯有堅韌的意志才能沖破重重阻礙,化解心中的憤怒,讓曾經私刑的威脅、
past the humiliation of Jim Crow; past the turmoil of the Civil Rights era.
《吉姆·克勞法》的恥辱、民權運動時期的動蕩成為過去。
And then they went on to become scientists, engineers, nurses and teachers in communities all across the country
后來,他們成為全美各地的科學家、工程師、護士、教師等,
and continued to lift others up along the way.
并不斷激勵他人。
And while the history of this campus isn't perfect,
雖然這所校園的歷史并不完美,
the defining story of Tuskegee is the story of rising hopes and fortunes for all African Americans.
但塔斯基吉人的故事為所有非裔美國人帶來希望和機遇。
And now, graduates, it's your turn to take up that cause.
此刻,親愛的畢業生們,你們將肩負起這項重任。
And let me tell you, you should feel so proud of making it to this day.
我想對你們說,你們應該為這一天的到來感到非常地自豪。
And I hope that you're excited to get started on that next chapter.
我希望你們滿懷興奮之情,開啟新的篇章。
But I also imagine that you might think about all that history, all those heroes who came before you
但我想,若你們想到過去的歷史,想到那些英雄前輩們,
you might also feel a little pressure, you know
可能感到一些壓力,
pressure to live up to the legacy of those who came before you; pressure to meet the expectations of others.
既無愧于前輩的努力,也不能辜負他人的期望。
And believe me, I understand that kind of pressure.
請相信我,我理解這種壓力。
I've experienced a little bit of it myself.
因為我親身經歷過。
You see, graduates, I didn't start out as the fully-formed First Lady who stands before you today.
畢業生們,我不是一開始就順利成為今天站在你們面前的第一夫人。
No, no, I had my share of bumps along the way.
這一路上,我也跌跌撞撞。