Let's say you're an 18 year old male who runs every other day, logging 12 miles a week.
假設你是一個18歲的男性,每隔一天就會跑步,算下來每周會跑12英里。
Now fast-forward to your late 40's.
現在,把你的年齡快速往后推到40多近50歲。
Your eating habits are the same.
你的飲食習慣不變。
To maintain your high school weight, how many miles a week would you need to run?
為了保持你高中時的體重,你一周需要跑多少英里呢?
Believe it or not, you'd have to multiply your weekly mileage 4 and 1/2 times, increasing it from 12 to 54 miles a week!
信不信由你,你得把每周的英里數乘以4.5,也就是從每周的12英里增加到54英里!
So, unless you take up weekly double marathons in middle-age, it's impossible simply to “outrun” middle-age spread.
除非你在人到中年時,每周進行兩次馬拉松長跑,否則絕不可能輕易逃脫中年發福。
That's because metabolism decreases with age.
這是因為,新陳代謝的過程隨年齡而逐漸放緩。
At 50 you just don't burn as many calories as you did at 18.
到了50歲,你就不能像18歲時一樣燃燒同樣多的卡路里。
Luckily, there are other factors in this equation.
幸運的是,在這個等式中還有其他的影響因素。
Gradually eating less is one way to make up the difference, since metabolism slows by about 100 calories every ten years.
減少食量是一種彌補差額的方法。因為新陳代謝的過程每隔十年就會降低100卡路里的消耗。
That's equivalent to a tablespoon of butter.
這個數字相當于一大匙黃油的熱量。
譯文為可可英語翻譯,未經授權請勿轉載!