地點:莫妮卡公寓
人物:錢德勒,菲比,瑞秋,羅斯
事件:錢德勒花費了很多精力為喬伊的女朋友凱西買到了一本非常珍貴的書,打算送給她當作生日禮物,眾人都明白了錢德勒的別有用心。
劇情片段
Chandler: Hi. You guys have any wrapping paper①?
錢德勒:(手里拿著一個禮物,推門進來)嗨,你們有包裝紙嗎?
Phoebe: Oh! Is it for my birthday present?
菲比:哦!是為我準備的生日禮物嗎?
Chandler: Pheebs, it was your birthday, like, months ago.
錢德勒:菲比,你的生日好像是好幾個月之前的事情了。
Phoebe: Yeah, but remember you said you ordered something special, and it just hadn’t come yet?1
菲比:是的,但是你應該記得,你答應過要送我一些特別的東西,但是現在還沒有出現。
Chandler: Well, I have a call in② about that.
錢德勒:(被揭了短,連忙為自己打圓場)好的,我正給你準備著呢。
Phoebe: OK.
菲比:好啊。
Chandler: Actually, this is for Kathy’s birthday. It’s an early edition of her favorite book.
錢德勒:實際上,這是為凱茜準備的生日禮物。這是她最喜歡的書的早期版本。
Rachel: Oh, The Velveteen Rabbit③! Oh my God, when the boy’s love makes the rabbit real!
瑞秋:哦,《棉絨兔》!我的天,男孩的愛會把它變成真兔子!(說著,瑞秋用手去拿它)
Chandler: Okay, but don’t touch it, because your fingers have destructive oils.
錢德勒:好的,但不要碰它,你手指上有油。
Rachel: Huh. Well, then you’d better keep it away from④ Ross’s hair.2 So this is pretty rare. How did you get that?
瑞秋:呵,好,那你最好讓它離羅斯的頭發遠點。(一旁的羅斯聽到很無奈地愣了一下,沒有說話)話說這應該非常難找吧,你怎么弄到的啊?
Chandler: Oh, it wasn’t a big deal⑤.I just went to a couple of bookstores, talked to a couple of dealers... called a couple of the author’s grandchildren. 3
錢德勒:哦,也不算什么大事。我只是跑了幾家書店,問了幾個書商……給作者的孫子打了幾個電話。
Rachel: Oh, honey, that’s so sweet⑥.
瑞秋:哦,親愛的,好貼心啊。
Phoebe: Yeah, and what a great way to say, “I secretly love you, roommate’s girlfriend!” 4
菲比:對,而且是用一個偉大的方式去表明:“我暗戀你,室友的女朋友!”