So I went out and built a phenomenal team of data scientists and researchers and statisticians to build a universal risk assessment tool,
所以我組建了一個出色的團隊,由數據科學家和研究人員還有統計人員組成,建立一個通用的風險評估工具,
so that every single judge in the United States of America can have an objective, scientific measure of risk.
這樣一來,全美的每一個法官都可以做一個客觀、科學的風險評估。
In the tool that we've built, what we did was we collected 1.5 million cases from all around the United States,
在這個已經建立的這個工具里,我們收集了150萬個案件,來自美國各地,
from cities, from counties, from every single state in the country, the federal districts.
包括城市,縣,國內的每個州,聯邦區。
And with those 1.5 million cases, which is the largest data set on pretrial in the United States today,
有了那150萬個案例,這是截止到今天美國審判前最大的數據庫,
we were able to basically find that there were 900-plus risk factors that we could look at to try to figure out what mattered most.
我們基本上能夠找到我們可以查看的九百多個危險因素,試著找出最重要的問題。

And we found that there were nine specific things that mattered all across the country and that were the most highly predictive of risk.
我們發現具體有九件事,在全國范圍內都很重要,是可預測的最高風險。
And so we built a universal risk assessment tool. And it looks like this.
于是我們建立了一種通用的風險評估工具。它看起來就像這個。
As you'll see, we put some information in, but most of it is incredibly simple,
正如你所看到的,我們把一些信息列在上面,但大多數都格外簡單,
it's easy to use, it focuses on things like the defendant's prior convictions,
它使用起來很容易,它側重的方面是被告的前科,
whether they've been sentenced to incarceration,
他們是否曾被判處監禁,
whether they've engaged in violence before, whether they've even failed to come back to court.
他們是否曾被卷入過暴力事件,他們是否甚至沒能回到法庭。
And with this tool, we can predict three things.
使用此工具,我們可以預測三件事。
First, whether or not someone will commit a new crime if they're released.
第一,他們是否會再次犯罪,如果被釋放的話。
Second, for the first time, and I think this is incredibly important,
第二,我第一次覺得,這一點非常重要,
we can predict whether someone will commit an act of violence if they're released.
我們可以預測他們是否會進行暴力活動,如果被釋放的話。
And that's the single most important thing that judges say when you talk to them.
法官說這是當你向他們問話的時候最重要的一件事。
And third, we can predict whether someone will come back to court.
第三,我們可以預測是否他們會回到法庭。
And every single judge in the United States of America can use it, because it's been created on a universal data set.
美國的任何一名法官都可以使用它,因為它是由通用的數據庫制成的。