And yet, in a deep and profound way, we are failing.
然而,我們正在隱隱地滑向失敗,
Because feminism wasn't supposed to make us feel guilty,
因為女權主義運動的目的并不是讓我們感到自責,
or prod us into constant competitions over who is raising children better, organizing more cooperative marriages, or getting less sleep.
或是把我們推進無盡的競爭,去比較誰的孩子更優秀、誰的婚姻更穩固或是誰工作的時間更長;
It was supposed to make us free,
它的目的在于讓我們感到自由,
to give us not only choices but the ability to make these choices without constantly feeling that we'd somehow gotten it wrong."
不僅擁有選擇的自由,而且在做出這些選擇時不會總感覺自己犯了錯”。
Stay-at-home mothers can make me feel guilty and, at times, intimidate me.
那些全職母親會讓我覺得內疚,有時甚至還會讓我害怕。
There are moments when I feel like they are judging me, and I imagine there are moments when they feel like I am judging them.
我常常覺得周圍的人在批評我,我猜她們或許也會覺得我在批評他們。
But when I push past my own feelings of guilt and insecurity, I feel grateful.
但是,當我推開自己的內疚和不安全感后,我心里充滿了感激。
These parents — mostly mothers — constitute a large amount of the talent that helps sustain our schools, nonprofits, and communities.
這些父母(通常是母親)中有相當多的人極富才干,他們會幫助社會協助學校、非營利性組織和社區的管理。
Remember that mom who pointed out that my son should be wearing a green T-shirt on St. Patrick's Day?
還記得我前面提過的那位“無所不知”的母親嗎?
She is a tireless volunteer in the classroom and our community.
她是一位在課堂上和社區里都很活躍的志愿者,
So many people benefit from her hard work.
很多人都因為她的工作而受益。
Society has long undervalued the contributions of those who work without a salary.
那些不拿報酬卻依然奮斗在工作崗位上的人,他們的貢獻長期被社會低估了。
My mother felt this slight keenly.
我的母親對此有強烈的感受。
For seventeen years, she worked more than full-time as a mother and on behalf of Soviet Jewry.
17年來,她既要當母親又要為蘇聯猶太人協會工作,這已遠不只是一份全職工作。