"It was a fairy, and come from Elf-land, it said; and its errand was to make me happy:
‘它是個小精靈,從精靈仙境來的,它說。它的差使是使我幸福,
I must go with it out of the common world to a lonely place -- such as the moon, for instance
我必須同它一起離開凡間,到一個人跡罕至的地方--譬如月亮上
and it nodded its head towards her horn, rising over Hay-hill:
它朝干草山上升起的月牙兒點了點頭。
it told me of the alabaster cave and silver vale where we might live.
它告訴我,我們可以住在石膏山洞和銀色的溪谷里。
I said I should like to go; but reminded it, as you did me, that I had no wings to fly.
我說我想去,但我就像你剛才提醒那樣,提醒它我沒有翅膀,不會飛。’”
"'Oh,' returned the fairy, 'that does not signify! Here is a talisman will remove all difficulties;'
“‘呵,’那精靈回答說,‘這沒有關系!這里有個護身符,可以排除—切障礙。’
and she held out a pretty gold ring.
她遞過來一個漂亮的金戒指。
'Put it,' she said, 'on the fourth finger of my left hand, and I am yours, and you are mine;
‘戴上它吧,戴在我左手第四個手指上,我就屬于你,你就屬于我了。
and we shall leave earth, and make our own heaven yonder.'
我們將離開地球,到那邊建立自己的天地。’
She nodded again at the moon. The ring, Adèle, is in my breeches-pocket, under the disguise of a sovereign:
她再次朝月亮點了點頭。阿黛勒,這個戒指就在我褲子袋袋里,化作了一金鎊硬幣,
but I mean soon to change it to a ring again."
不過我要它很快又變成戒指。”
"But what has mademoiselle to do with it?
“可是那與小姐有什么關系呢?
I don't care for the fairy: you said it was mademoiselle you would take to the moon?"
我才不在乎精靈呢,你不是說過你要帶到月亮去的是小姐嗎?”