I'm a nurse in a hospital's children's ward.
我是一家醫院兒童病房的護士。
One night, I was at the nurses' station when I heard a little boy in his room talking.
一天晚上,我在護士站聽到一個小男孩在他的房間里說話。
He kept the patter up for some time.
他喋喋不休有一段時間。
Finally, I got on the intercom and said softly but firmly, "All right, Johnny, it's time to go to sleep now."
最后,我打開對講機,輕輕地但堅定地說:“好了,約翰尼,該睡覺了。”
There was quiet in the room, and then he said, "OK, God, I will."
房間里很安靜,然后他說,“好的,上帝,我會的。”
I didn't hear a peep from him until morning.
直到早晨我才聽到他的尖叫聲。
I was in a small store in a nearby town one evening.
一天晚上,我在附近城鎮的一家小商店里。
Wanting to find out when it opened the next morning,I stopped a teenage staffer on her way out and asked, "What are your hours?"
想知道第二天早上什么時候開門,
I stopped a teenage staffer on her way out and asked, "What are your hours?"
于是,我攔住一位十幾歲的女員工,問她:“你們的營業時間是幾點?”
Her reply: "Right now, six to nine because I'm in school.
她回答說:“現在,六點到九點,因為我在上學。
But next month it will be full-time."
但下個月就是全天營業。”