Baking is my communication tool with American people.
烘焙是我同美國人溝通的方式。
I'm not so good to speak English, but I can make a good dessert.
我英語不是很好,但我會做美味的甜點。
So during the holiday, I'm always making a Japanese Christmas shortcake.
假期的時候,我通常都會做日式圣誕蛋糕。
I'm Nico Tortorella.
我是尼科·托托雷拉。
I'm an actor, an activist and a firm believer that our differences actually make us stronger.
我是一名演員、活動家,我堅信,人與人之間的不同能夠讓我們變得更加強大。
I'm on a journey with IKEA to meet real people and discover the diverse and spectacular ways they celebrate the holidays.
這次,我和宜家一起,踏上了一段邂逅真人真事,去發現不同的人群彼此不同卻同樣精彩的慶祝節日的方式的旅程。
Maybe you celebrate Christmas with milk and cookies and a Christmas ham.
或許,你慶祝圣誕節的方式是牛奶、餅干和圣誕火腿。
Or maybe you celebrate it with fried chicken and cake like Portland resident Mio Asaka.
或許你和波特蘭居民淺坂美雄一樣,慶祝圣誕節的方式是炸雞和蛋糕。
My name is Mio Asaka. I'm a baker and owner of Mio's Delectables.
我是淺坂美雄。是“美雄烘焙屋”的糕點師兼老板。
Mio runs a mini Japanese bakery right out of her own home and sells her goods at the Portland Farmers’ Market.
美雄在自己家開了一間小型的日式面包房,但她也會把自家的糕點拿到波特蘭農貿市場去賣。
Mio has this real passion for baking and sharing the traditions that she brought from Japan.
美雄非常熱愛烘焙,也非常熱愛分享她從日本帶來的傳統。
Her specialty: the Japanese Christmas cake.
她的絕活兒是:日式圣誕蛋糕。
We should probably go get some strawberries for this cake, huh? Yeah, yeah.
我們是不是應該準備點兒草莓啊?是的,是的。
Wow, hi. How are you?
哈,你好。你好。
Mio's Delectables isn't just a business for Mio.
對美雄來說,“美雄烘焙屋” 不止是她的生意。
It's a way for her to share her traditions and culture with other people and to really bring people together, especially during the holidays.
也是她與他人分享她的傳統和文化 ,把大家聚在一起,尤其是節日期間,的一種方式。
Hi! How are you?
你好,你好。
Good to see you. Good to see you. Welcome. Come in.
很高興見到你。彼此彼此。歡迎歡迎,快請進。
I come bearing gifts.
我給你帶了禮物。
Oh, wow.
哇,謝謝。
My Christmas tree is like this size tree, but I always decoration. You have to enjoy that.
我的圣誕樹大概只有這么大,但我會經常裝飾它。你需要去享受那個過程。
This is your son here?
這是你兒子嗎?
Yes. Willie?
是的。是叫威利嗎?
William. William.
叫威廉。威廉是吧。
I admire Mio for being a single mother who works hard to create a warm, inviting and loving home for her family.
我很欽佩美雄,作為一個單身母親,為了給家庭創造一個溫暖、溫馨、有愛的環境,她真的很拼。
Ta-da!
好啦!
Japanese Christmas is pretty unique.
日本的圣誕節其實比較不一樣。
For a while, it was a really romantic holiday in Japan, kind of like Valentine's Day in the United States. Romance.
過去,圣誕節在日本是一個非常浪漫的節日,跟美國的情人節差不多。浪漫。

Fried chicken is really popular. Karaage.
圣誕節期間,炸雞是很受歡迎。炸雞。
And dessert—Christmas cake, especially—is a focal point for Japanese Christmas.
甜點——尤其是圣誕蛋糕——則是日本人過圣誕節的一大亮點。
When I came to the U.S., I didn't know that this country not familiar with Japanese style type of cake,
剛來美國的時候,我不知道這個國家對日式蛋糕其實是不太了解的,
so I explained this cake is a very soft and not too sweet.
當時我就給大家解釋,這個蛋糕就是比較軟又不太甜的蛋糕。
Now it is very popular.
現在我的蛋糕已經很受歡迎了。
This looks so beautiful.
看起來真漂亮!
Japanese Christmas cake originated in post-World War II Japan.
日式圣誕蛋糕起源于二戰后的日本。
Middle-class citizens finally had access to sugar and other ingredients that had once been considered exclusive.
當時,日本的中產階級終于能夠用上糖之類的食材了,而那些食材過去是專供的。
And from this, the tradition was born.
自那以后,日式圣誕蛋糕的傳統就誕生了。
All right, it's time to eat.
好了,該吃飯了。
Japanese Christmas is an important day.
日本的圣誕節是一個非常重要的日子。
We eat a big dinner with our family.
我們會和家人一起吃一頓豐盛的晚餐。
It's very much like the U.S., but we eat sushi and karaage.
這點跟美國很像,但是我們吃的是壽司和炸雞。
Do you have any traditions before a Christmas meal?
在享用圣誕大餐前,還有什么傳統是要注意的嗎?
We say "i ta da ki ma si" Bon appetit.
我們會說“i ta da ki ma si”,“祝你有個好胃口”的意思。
Bon appetit.
祝你有個好胃口。
Mio is pretty inspiring.
美雄是個非常勵志的人。
She truly embodies the tradition represented by something as simple as a cake.
她就代表了那種像蛋糕這么簡單的事物所代表的傳統。
Japanese Christmas cake is a symbol for prosperity and growth,
日式圣誕蛋糕是興旺和成長的象征,
qualities that Mio really brings to life every time she bakes this cake for her friends and family.
而這些品質也隨著美雄每次為朋友和家人做這個蛋糕而有了生命。
There you have it, folks. Rudolph the red-nosed reindeer.
好了。哈,你唱的是《紅鼻子馴鹿魯道夫》。