The market is not the society. Our societies are, of course, much, much more than the market.
市場不是社會。我們的社會,當然比市場要大許多。
But lack of trust in the market can rub off on society so we lose trust in our society as well.
但缺少對市場的信任,會影響整個社會,所以我們也對社會失去信任。
And it may be the most important thing we have, trust.
信任是我們所擁有最重要的東西。
We can trust each other if we are treated as equals.
我們如果受到公平對待,就會信任彼此。
If we are all to have the same chances, well, we all have to follow the same fundamental rules.
如果我們都有同樣的機會,那么我們必須遵守同樣的基本規則。
Of course, some people and some businesses are more successful than others,
當然,一些人和企業比其他人更成功,
but we do not trust in a society if the prizes are handed out even before the contest begins.
但如果在比賽開始前就已頒發獎項,我們就無法信任這個社會。
And this is where competition rules come in,
這就是競爭規范要解決的問題,
because when we make sure that markets work fairly, then businesses compete on the merits,
因為當我們確保市場公平運行時,企業就會老老實實競爭,
and that helps to build the trust that we need as citizens to feel comfortable and in control,
這幫助我們建立人民所需的信任,讓我們感到舒適,感到可以掌控我們的選擇,
and the trust that allows our society to work.
這種信任幫助使我們的社會運作。
Because without trust, everything becomes harder.
因為沒有信任,每件事就變得困難。
Just to live our daily lives, we need to trust in strangers, to trust the banks who keep our money,
為了過好日常生活,我們必須信任陌生人,信任保管我們錢財的銀行,
the builders who build our home, the electrician who comes to fix the wiring, the doctor who treats us when we're ill,
蓋我們房子的工人,來修電線的電工,我們生病時所看的醫生,
not to mention the other drivers on the road, and everyone knows that they are crazy.
更不用說路上的其他駕駛員,大家都知道他們很瘋狂。
And yet, we have to trust them to do the right thing.
但我們仍需相信他們會做正確的事。
And the thing is that the more our societies grow, the more important trust becomes and the harder it is to build.
我們的社會越是成長,信任就越發重要,但也越難建立。
And that is a paradox of modern societies.
這就是現代社會的矛盾之處。
And this is especially true when technology changes the way that we interact.
這尤其表現在當科技改變我們的相處模式時。
Of course, to some degree, technology can help us to build trust in one another with ratings systems and other systems that enable the sharing economy.
某種程度上,通過評分系統和其他系統科技可幫助我們建立對彼此的信任,開啟共享經濟。
But technology also creates completely new challenges when they ask us not to trust in other people
但科技也帶來前所未有的挑戰,科技要我們不去相信其他人,
but to trust in algorithms and computers.
改而相信算法和計算機。