He is quite a Gibson.
一個十足的吉卜森家的人。
Oh, I wish he would cease tormenting me with letters for money?
呵,但愿他不要老是寫信討錢來折磨我!
I have no more money to give him. We are getting poor.
我已經沒有錢可以給他了。我們窮了。
I must send away half the servants and shut up part of the house, or let it off.
我得打發掉一半的傭人,關掉部分房子,或者租出去。
I can never submit to do that -- yet how are we to get on?
我從來不忍心這么做--可是日子怎么過呢?
Two-thirds of my income goes in paying the interest of mortgages.
我三分之二的收入都付了抵押的利息。
John gambles dreadfully, and always loses -- poor boy!
約翰賭得厲害,又總是輸--可憐的孩子!
He is beset by sharpers. John is sunk and degraded
他陷進了賭棍窩里。約翰名譽掃地,完全墮落了。
His look is frightful. I feel ashamed for him when I see him.
他的樣子很可怕。我見到他就為他感到丟臉。
She was getting much excited.
她變得十分激動。
"I think I had better leave her now," said I to Bessie, who stood on the other side of the bed.
“我想現在還是離開她好。”我對站在床另一邊的貝茜說。
Perhaps you had, Miss, but she often talks in this way towards night -- in the morning she is calmer. I rose.
也許是這樣,小姐,不過晚上她老是這么說話的--早上比較鎮靜。我立起身來。
"Stop!" exclaimed Mrs. Reed, there is another thing I wished to say.
“站住!”里德太太叫道。還有件事我要同你說。
He threatens me -- he continually threatens me with his own death, or mine.
他威脅我--不斷地用他的死或我的死來威脅我。
And I dream sometimes that I see him laid out with a great wound in his throat, or with a swollen and blackened face.
有時我夢見他躺著,喉嚨上一個大窟隆,或者一臉鼻青眼腫。
I am come to a strange pass. I have heavy troubles. What is to be done?
我已經闖入了一個奇怪的關口。困難重重。該怎么辦呢?
How is the money to be had?
錢從哪兒來?