Dialogue 1
Mark: Welcome back, Jingjing. How was your trip?
馬克:歡迎回來,京晶。這趟旅行如何?
Jingjing: It was amazing. I took so many pictures, I had to offload them onto my PC to free up some memory. Let's look at them next time we see each other at the office.
京晶:棒極了。我拍了好多照,我得上傳到電腦上,釋放些儲存空間。下次我們辦公室見面時一起看看吧。
Mark: Ok. I'll wait to see the pictures. Hey,Did you buy anything for double-eleven?
馬克:好,等看照片。嘿,你雙11買什么了嗎?
Jingjing: Not much—and I was really bummed out about it.
京晶:沒買什么,我還挺不爽的。
Mark: What happened?
馬克:怎么了?
Jingjing: Well, November 11 was Sunday. So, I was stuck on the plane for most of that day.
京晶:11月11是周日,那天我基本上呆在飛機上了。
Mark: Oh, that must have been disappointing.
馬克:哦,那一定特別讓你失望了。
Jingjing: Yeah, the really aggravating thing was that my plane wasn't scheduled to leave until 4:05PM from Dublin—but they were telling us to shut off our phones a few minutes before that.
京晶:是啊,更討厭的是我的飛機是下午4:05飛離都柏林,要求我們起飛前提前幾分鐘關掉手機。
Mark: That sounds pretty normal. Am I missing something? What's the significance of that time?
馬克:這很正常啊。我是錯過了什么嗎?這個時間點有何重要?
Jingjing: Well, when it was 4PM in Dublin, it was midnight in Beijing. So, I wanted to finalize all the purchases I'd reserved.
京晶:都柏林的下午4點,是北京的凌晨,我那時正要最后確認所有我已經下好的單(提前預留好的貨物)。
Mark: Oh, and you didn't get a chance to do that until you landed, right?
馬克:哦,這樣的話你得到下飛機才有機會完成了吧?
Jingjing: Actually, there was wi-fi on the plane once we were at a cruising altitude. But that was too late for good deals on some of the stuff I really had my heart set on.
京晶:事實上,進入巡航高度后,飛機上有無線網絡,可是已經太遲了,我看上的一些好東西的優惠折扣已經沒有了。
Mark: Man, if only your flight had been delayed.
馬克:哎,你的航班要是那時延誤就好了!
Jingjing: It was, actually. But we didn't find out about that until we were on the runway. We were there for about 20 more minutes. People kept trying their phones. But I didn't want to break the rules.
京晶:事實上還真延誤了。我們直到上了跑道才知道。又在那兒待了20分鐘。人們都在試著玩手機什么的,但是我不想違規。
Mark: That was good of you.
馬克:你這樣是對的。
New words : 習語短語
offload 傳文件文檔
move files from one device to another
double-eleven 雙十一
the informal name, China's shopping holiday
bummed out 失望
disappointed
significance 重要性
meaning and importance
had my heart set on (sth) 特別渴望,看好
wanted (sth) dearly
Dialogue 2
Mark: So, Jingjing, if it's not too painful to talk about: what'd you miss out on buying?
馬克:那,京晶, 如果聊這件事不會太痛苦的話,你錯過了買什么呢?
Jingjing: A winter coat, an external battery, and a bunch of household stuff.
京晶:一件冬裝,充電寶,還有一些家用品。
Mark: That sounds like a lot. Was it much more expensive after the promotion?
馬克:聽上去還不少呢。促銷完了以后會貴很多嗎?
Jingjing: Not much. I found one for less in another shop.
京晶:也沒那么多。我在另外一家店里又找到了便宜一些的。
Mark: That's not so bad, then.
馬克:那還不算太糟。
Jingjing: I guess not. But I put in my time picking the stuff out. And I really liked the coat.
京晶:也許吧。但是我花了好些時間挑呢,我特別喜歡那件衣服。
Mark: What was it like?
馬克:什么樣的啊?
Jingjing: Well, it was a little formal, made of wool, with a brown and gray plaid pattern.
京晶:稍微有點正式,羊毛質地的,有棕灰的格子圖案。
Mark: Oh, you mean one of those frowzy glen plaid numbers you see everywhere this season?
馬克:你是說那種這一季滿大街都能看到的臟舊風的格蘭格子裝嗎?
Jingjing: Yeah, it's a popular style this year.
京晶:對啊,今年的流行款哦。
Mark: What did we say about being a slave to trends?
馬克:我們是怎么說的做時尚的奴隸來著?
Jingjing: I remember you told me your opinion about the Champion fad last fall. But I didn't quite agree with it. Hey, why don't you tell me how double-eleven compares to black Friday?
京晶:我記得去年秋天你跟我說你關于冠軍流行潮的觀點。但我并不完全贊同了。嘿,你為什么不跟我說說,雙十一和黑色星期五有何區別?
Mark: Well, double-eleven is bigger, in terms of spending. But black Friday is the biggest retail sales day of the year in America.
馬克:買買買(就消費而言),雙十一規模更大,黑色星期五是美國一年中最盛大的零售日。
Jingjing: Are there lots of promotions?
京晶:也有很多優惠促銷嗎?
Mark: There are a few. But people care about it because it's an indicator of the entire Christmas season each year. And consumer spending is a very big part of GDP in the US.
馬克:有一些。人們在乎這個節日因為它是一年中整個圣誕季的標志。消費是美國GDP的一個很主要的組成部分。
Jingjing: Wow, that's getting a little technical.
京晶:哇哦,說得有些技術含量了。
Mark: Right. Economists care about it; there are a few more ads.
馬克:是的,經濟學家們很重視它。還有不少廣告呢。
New words : 習語短語
frowzy 臟臟的 邋遢的
dirty and musty
number 有顯著外觀特色的衣物
an item of clothing or an outfit with a distinctive appearance (such as a marching band uniform)
a slave to trends 隨時隨地緊跟時尚的人
someone who goes along with every kind of trend
GDP 國內生產總值
gross domestic product the market value of all goods and services produced within a period of time