We're holding hands, staring at the door.
我們手牽著手,盯著門口。
My siblings and I were waiting for my mother to come back from the hospital.
我和兄弟姐妹們在等著媽媽從醫院回來。
She was there because my grandmother had cancer surgery that day.
因為那天是我的外婆做癌癥手術的日子。
Finally, the doors opened, and she said, "She's gone. She's gone."
終于,門開了,她說,“外婆走了。她走了。”
She started sobbing and immediately said, "We must make arrangements.
她開始哭泣,然后很快說到,“我們要做好安排。
Your grandmother's dying wish was to be buried back home in Korea."
你們外婆的遺愿是要葬回韓國老家。”
I was barely 12 years old, and when the shock wore off, my mother's words were ringing in my ears.
我當時也就12歲吧,當震驚慢慢退去,媽媽的話仍在耳中回響。
My grandmother wanted to be buried back home.
我的外婆想落葉歸根。
We had moved from Korea to Argentina six years prior, without knowing any Spanish, or how we were going to make a living.
外婆去世的6年前,我們從韓國搬到阿根廷,完全不懂西班牙語,也不知道要如何生存。
And upon arrival, we were immigrants who had lost everything, so we had to work really hard to rebuild our lives.
抵達的時候,我們是身無分文的移民,因此必須要非常努力地工作來開始新生活。
So it hadn't occurred to me that after all these years, back home was still in Korea.
這么多年過去了,我從未想過,韓國才是我的家鄉。
It made me ponder where I would want to be buried someday, where home was for me, and the answer was not obvious.
我開始琢磨,將來我想被葬在哪里,哪里是我的老家,但我卻找不到答案。
And this really bothered me. So this episode launched a lifelong quest for my identity.
這件事令我很困擾。這件事開啟了我一生中尋找自己的身份的旅程。