Women always cook in the kitchen.
but to think a woman could be a chef was like, “No, there is no way. It’s too long. It’s too hard.”
但一想到女人去當廚師,就像是,“不,不可能。那太漫長了。也太艱難了。”
You have to really look at yourself and say,
你必須看著自己,對自己說,
“You know what? I’m going to do it on my own, and I’m not going to let anyone tell me yes or no.”
“聽著,我就要憑自己的本事當一名廚師,成與不成,別人說了不算。”
I NEVER DOUBTED MYSELF when I opened my first restaurant.
開第一家餐廳的時候,我從未懷疑過自己。
You’ve got to give 100% of yourself until you know you’ve done it.
在知道自己做到了之前,你必須百分百地投入。
But it was still a struggle.
但過程還是很煎熬。
I opened Atelier Crenn in 2011, coming out of a time of crisis.
我是2011年開的Atelier Crenn,那個時候我的生意正值危機。
Nobody wanted to invest—and people told me they didn’t trust that as a woman I could carry it off.
沒有人愿意投資 - 大家都說,他們不相信我一個女人能把餐廳開成功。
But I had a vision and I had to try, and I made it my mission to stay positive.
但我懷有夢想,,我必須嘗試,我就把保持樂觀當成我的使命。
Seven years later, I’m still here—and I’m expanding.
七年后,我還在這里 - 而我的生意也越做越大了。
I don’t know why it took them so long to give a female chef two Michelin stars in the U.S.,
我不知道美國為什么花了那么長時間才愿意給女性頒發米其林二星廚師的稱號,
but awards are just awards, and it’s what you do with that recognition that defines who you are.
不過,稱號也就是個稱號,而真正決定你是誰的是你用這一肯定做了什么。

Every day you’ve got to go back to work and make sure the restaurant is busy.
每天你都得回去工作,確保餐廳每天都很忙。
Being the first just makes you realize they have a long way to go.
成為第一也會讓你意識到他們還有很長的路要走。
There are many amazing chefs in this country who are women, and I don’t know why they’re not getting recognized.
這個國家有很多優秀的女性廚師,我不知道為什么她們沒有得到認可。
The industry needs to change.
這個行業需要改變。
A critic was once quoted saying that I’m successful because I’m attractive and charismatic and cook like a man, whatever that means.
曾經,有人引用了一位評論家的話,他的原話是我很成功,因為我很有吸引力,很有魅力,下廚的時候像個男人,且不管他這話是什么意思。
I was shocked by the words and shocked that they were published.
我被他的這些話震驚倒了,同樣令我震驚的是他的這些話竟然還被發表了。
The culture is toxic.
我們的文化是有毒的。
We have to work very hard to undo the things we’ve done so badly.
我們必須非常努力才能彌補我們做下的那些孽。
I look at children as the light at the end of the tunnel.
在我眼里,孩子就是那隧道盡頭的燈光。
We have a responsibility to carve the way for them to live in a better world.
我們有責任為他們鋪平道路,讓他們能夠享受更美好的世界。
My daughters love to cook,
我的女兒們也都很喜歡做飯,
but more than that, I hope I provide them an example of how to be a badass—and how to be kind, to be respectful, to ask questions and be curious,
但我更多的是希望我給她們樹立了一個榜樣,讓她們知道如何做一個不好惹的人——如何做一個善良、尊重他人,愛問問題,好奇的人,
to understand that there are others in this world, to be a good listener and to be a good leader.
一個知道世界上還有其他人的人,一個善于傾聽,善于領導的人。
譯文由可可原創,僅供學習交流使用,未經許可請勿轉載。