Celeste: So, here is my shortlist.
塞萊斯特:這是我列出的名單。
Albert: A shortlist for what?
艾伯特:什么名單?
Celeste: Baby names.
塞萊斯特:嬰兒名字。
Albert: We have months to decide. Don’t you think we should wait?
艾伯特:我們還幾個月的時間可以決定。你不覺得我們應該再等等嗎?
Celeste: No, I want to be prepared. Here, take a look. See what you think.
塞萊斯特:不,我想提前做好準備。來,看看吧。說說你的看法。
Albert: Ezekiel?! You want to name our child Ezekiel? He’ll be teased by every kid in school.
艾伯特:以西結?!你想給咱們的孩子取名以西結?他會被學校里的孩子們取笑的。
Celeste: It’s a family name. I was trying to appease my parents. They’ve been suggesting a lot of family names. We could call him by a nickname, maybe “Zeke.”
塞萊斯特:這是姓而已。我這是為了安撫我的父母。他們推薦了很多姓。我們可以給他取個小名,要不就叫“齊克”。
Albert: I’m not naming my child Ezekiel. His name would be Ezekiel Eckleman. That’s a mouthful. I also want to steer clear of alliterative names. I’ve never liked them.
艾伯特:我不會讓我的孩子叫以西結的。他的名字可能是以西結·埃克列曼。這太拗口了。我還想避開頭韻的名字。我一直都不喜歡這種。
Celeste: Okay, are there any names you like on my list?
塞萊斯特:好吧,那名單上有你中意的名字嗎?
Albert: Not Alan Phillip. That’s for sure.
艾伯特:艾倫·菲利普不行。這是肯定的。
Celeste: Why not? I thought we’d name the baby after my grandfather. Alan is a nice first name and Phillip is a nice middle name.
塞萊斯特:為什么?我想我們應該用我祖父的名字給孩子取名。艾倫是個好名字,菲利普當中間名也是個不錯的選擇。
Albert: His initials would be “A.P.E.” – ape! He would never live that down.
艾伯特:那他名字的首字母就是“A.P.E.””——猿!他永遠也活不下去了。
Celeste: How about “Mikol”?
塞萊斯特:“Mikol”怎么樣?
Albert: You mean an alternate spelling for “Michael”? People don’t know how to pronounce a name with an odd spelling.
艾伯特:你是說“Michael”的另一種拼法?可是大家都不知道這么奇怪的拼寫怎么叫出口。
Celeste: Well, are there any names you do like?
塞萊斯特:那好吧,你有喜歡的名字嗎?
Albert: Albert Eckleman Junior has a nice ring to it.
艾伯特:小阿爾伯特·埃克列曼聽起來還不賴。
Celeste: As you say, we have months to decide. Let’s keep an open mind.
塞萊斯特:如你所說,我們還有幾個月的時間可以決定。咱們保持開放的心態。
Albert: Humph!
艾伯特:哼!
譯文屬可可原創,僅供學習交流使用,未經許可請勿轉載