When I was eight, I wanted to be a marine biologist.
八歲的時候,我想當海洋生物學家。
When I was nine, I saw the movie "Jaws," and thought to myself, "No, thank you."
九歲的時候,我看了《大白鯊》。 然后我對自己說,“還是算了吧。”
When I was 10, I was told that my parents left because they didn't want me.
十歲的時候,我的生父母離開了我,他們不要我了。
When I was 11, I wanted to be left alone.
11歲的時候,我希望自己一個人生活。
When I was 12, I wanted to die. When I was 13, I wanted to kill a kid.
12歲的時候我不想活了。13歲的時候我想殺掉一個小孩。
When I was 14, I was asked to seriously consider a career path.
14歲的時候我被要求嚴肅的考慮以后的職業生涯。
I said, "I'd like to be a writer."
我說,“我想做一個作家。”
And they said, "Choose something realistic."
他們說:“說個現實點的工作。”
So I said, "Professional wrestler."
于是我說,“職業摔跤運動員。”
And they said, "Don't be stupid."
他們說,“別傻了。”
See, they asked me what I wanted to be, then told me what not to be.
你看,他們問我想做什么,然后又告訴我統統不能做。
And I wasn't the only one.
而且不止是對我一個。
We were being told that we somehow must become what we are not, sacrificing what we are to inherit the masquerade of what we will be.
不知道為什么,我們總是被灌輸,我們必須變成跟自己不同的樣子,犧牲原本的自我,來適應我們將要戴上的身份面具。
I was being told to accept the identity that others will give me.
我總是被要求接受別人賦予我的身份。
And I wondered, what made my dreams so easy to dismiss?
我不明白,為什么我的夢想就這么容易被否定?
Granted, my dreams are shy, because they're Canadian.
好吧,我的夢想們都很害羞,因為它們都是加拿大人。
My dreams are self-conscious and overly apologetic.
我的夢想們,她們都太難為情、太謙卑了。
They're standing alone at the high school dance, and they've never been kissed.
它們孤零零的站在高中舞會的角落,從未被人欣賞過她們。
See, my dreams got called names too. Silly. Foolish. Impossible.
你瞧,我的夢想們也被人起了外號。傻瓜。笨蛋。異想天開。
But I kept dreaming. I was going to be a wrestler. I had it all figured out. I was going to be The Garbage Man.
但是我一直懷有夢想。我要做一個摔跤運動員。一切都想好了。我要像垃圾搬運工一樣。
My finishing move was going to be The Trash Compactor.
我摔跤的結束動作也會像垃圾壓實機一樣。
My saying was going to be, "I'm taking out the trash!"
我的臺詞是,“我要把這垃圾扔出去!”