Dear 17-year-old self,
17歲的我,
When your Laker dream comes true tomorrow, you need to figure out a way to invest in the future of your family and friends.
當你的湖人夢明日就將成真,你需要找到投資你家庭和朋友未來的方法。這聽起來很簡單。
This sounds simple, and you may think it's a no-brainer, but take some time to think on it further.
你可能會覺得,這很簡單,簡直不用動腦。但你真的需要花點時間去好好思考。
I said INVEST.
我說的是投資。
I did not say GIVE.
我說的不是給予。
Let me explain.
讓我解釋給你聽。
Purely giving material things to your siblings and friends may appear to be the right decision.
純粹地給予兄弟姐妹和朋友物質上的東西,似乎是正確的決定。
You love them, and they were always there for you growing up,
你愛他們,而他們在你成長的路上也一直相伴。
so it's only right that they should share in your success and all that comes with it.
因此,他們應該分享你的成功和隨之而來的一切。這是毫無疑問的。
So you buy them a car, a big house, pay all of their bills.
所以,你給他們買車,買大房子,付他們所有的賬單。
You want them to live a beautiful, comfortable life, right?
你希望他們生活舒適、多姿多彩多彩,對吧?
But the day will come when you realize that as much as you believed you were doing the right thing, you were actually holding them back.
但終有一天,你會意識到,你越相信你做的是對的,你這樣做實際上限制了他們的潛力。
You will come to understand that you were taking care of them because it made YOU feel good,
你會逐漸知道,你照顧他們只是為了讓你自己感覺很好。
it made YOU happy to see them smiling and without a care in the world — and that was extremely selfish of you.
你很開心看到他們笑著,過著無憂無慮的生活——這說明你極度自私。
While you were feeling satisfied with yourself, you were slowly eating away at their own dreams and ambitions.
但當你對自己感到滿意的同時,你漸漸地蠶食了他們自己的夢想和野心。
更多精彩內容請關注微信公眾號:籃球英文堂 新浪微博:籃球英文堂