I am an officer
我是一名警察
BY WALTER BENDER
文/沃爾特·本德
(There is a sequence of photographs in two pages, with caption says)BENDER, not pictured, is a deputy sheriff with the Montgomery County sheriff's office in Dayton, Ohio.
(本文附圖數張,圖片配文如下)本德,不在照片中,是俄亥俄州代頓市蒙哥馬利縣治安官辦公室的副警長。
DAYTON IS ROUGH.
代頓這個城市很混亂。
I'VE BEEN HERE FOR 11.5 YEARS, AND it's declined.
我來這兒已經11年半了,這里已經衰敗了。
The poverty level's pretty bad.
代頓的貧困問題非常嚴重。
But opioids reach every part of society: blue-collar, white-collar, everybody.
但阿片類藥物還是滲透到了社會的各個方面:藍領,白領,每個人。
It's nonstop.
這里的阿片類藥物濫用從來就沒停過。
It's every day.
每天都有人在吸。
And it doesn't seem like it's getting any better.
而且看樣子也沒有好轉的跡象。
You get a thick skin over time—either you get it, or it's going to eat you alive eventually.
隨著時間的推移,你就能拉下臉了 - 你要么繼續吸,要么就被毒癮折磨至死。
You kind of become cold to seeing somebody overdose.
看到有人濫用毒品,你會變得冷漠。
As an officer, you bury it away.
作為一名警察,你得把情緒收起來。
A lot of us do that.
我們很多人都這樣。
That's how we cope.
我們就是這么面對的。
Your emotional attachment to that person that you don't know is you don't have one.
你對那個你不認識的人的情感寄托是你對他沒有情感寄托。
It becomes easy to talk about the drug and not talk about the person, to say, "Yeah, just another one."
我們能夠輕松做到不談人只談毒品,“沒錯,又是一起藥物濫用的案子?!?這樣的話也能脫口而出。
But seeing the families that are affected, actually seeing them on the scene, trying to care for their loved ones or friends.
然而,看到他們的家人,親眼看到他們在那里,想照顧他們的親人或朋友,

And the things that they do to try to revive them, and they can't, and they're waiting on us or the medics to get there.
看到他們為了讓他們重新振作所做的努力,看到他們的努力變成徒勞,便指望我們或醫務人員能夠過去幫他們。
To see that, to see the children involved, the heartache, it's overwhelming.
看到這些,看到被牽涉進去的孩子,他們心痛的樣子,那種感受是難以承受的。
You get numb, but you also learn not to give up.
你會變得麻木,但也學會了不要放棄。
Just because you're going to the same person's house for maybe the eighth time in two weeks, you can't give up.
只是因為某個人家你可能兩周就去了八次,你不能放棄。
You never know when it might be the time they actually say, "Hey, I need to go get treatment."
你永遠不知道他們什么時候會對你說,“嘿,我得接受治療了?!?/div>
And now we're carrying Narcan (the brand name for naloxone, an overdose antidote) for the first time.
現在我們破天荒地帶上了納洛酮(治療藥物過量的解毒劑的品牌)。
You give somebody Narcan, you give them a second chance at life.
給他們用納洛酮就是他們第二次生命。
How many times do we have to give it to them to give them a chance?
有多少時間是我們為了挽救他們而不得不給他們用藥呢?
There shouldn't be a number.
我們不應為此設置一個數值。
It's not up to us to play God.
上帝不應該有我們來扮演。
As law enforcement, you're sworn to protect and serve.
作為執法部門,我們宣誓要保護大家,為大家服務。
So I talk to everybody out here.
所以我會找每個人談話。
They might not want to talk to me, but I'm talking to them.
他們可能不想跟我說話,那就由我來說。
I don't just brush by them.
我不只是跟他們接觸。
They're a human being.
他們也是人。
A lot of things are lost in the world today and humanity is one of them.
如今,我們已經喪失了很多東西,人道就是其中之一。
譯文由可可原創,僅供學習交流使用,未經許可請勿轉載。
來源:可可英語 http://www.ccdyzl.cn/Article/201808/562787.shtml