There's three things that are most important to chefs.
對廚師來說,烹飪最重要的因素有三個。
First is flavor, second is flavor, and third is flavor.
味道,味道,味道。
Flavor rules.
味道就是一切。
Built on the fertile former-lake-bottom soil of northern Ohio, the Chef's Garden is a 300-acre family farm
“廚師的菜園”是一個面積300英畝的家庭農場,位于俄亥俄州北部肥沃的土地上,這里原本是一個湖的湖底,
that grows specialty produce for some of the world's best restaurants.
農場負責給一些世界一流的餐廳種植特產蔬菜。
The Chef's Garden is a small family farm that has the good fortune of working directly with some of the greatest chefs in the world.
廚師的菜園是一個小型家庭農場,我們農場有幸能與世界上最好的一些廚師直接合作。
In many cases we're working with plant growers that are breeding to be able to create new plants, not genetic modification but genetic selection.
很多時候,和我們一起工作的都是研發新作物——通過遺傳選擇的新作物而非轉基因新作物——的農作物栽培者。
The farm grows produce of all shapes and sizes, like miniature carrots, these white strawberries, and almost 100 varieties of microgreens.
我們農場種植的農產品形狀和大小都各式各樣,有迷你胡蘿卜,白草莓,還有近100種微藻。
But the Jones family wasn't always The Chef's Garden.
但瓊斯家族并不非一開始就是農場。
My parents had had some very successful years.
我的父母也過過一段好日子。

In 1983 they had a very devastating hailstorm and ultimately the farm collapsed.
1983年,我們家遭受了非常嚴重的冰雹,農場就衰敗了。
We were dealt a new deck of cards and found opportunity within a disaster.
生活給我們出了一道大難題,但我們在災難中看到了機會。
We met a European-influenced Chef, Iris Baylen.
我們遇到了一位深受歐洲烹飪風格影響的廚師Iris Baylen。
Said: "Grow me varieties for flavor. Grow me varieties without chemical. I want a zucchini bloom.
她說,“種些有味道的菜給我。種些不打化學藥品的菜給我,我要南瓜花。”
Thought this lady was absolutely crazy.
當時我們都覺得這個女人絕對是瘋了。
Little did we know, she knew a heck of a lot more about it than we did.
我們并不知道,她知道的比我們知道的多得多。
And that really opened our eyes to another whole world out there.
和她的合作可以說是帶我們走進了一個全新的世界。
We hooked up with some really great chefs early on,
我們很早就結識了一些非常棒的廚師,
folks like Danielle Balou and John George Von Richten and Alain Ducasse and Michel Richard,
比如Danielle Balou和John George Von Richten,Alain Ducasse和Michel Richard,
and then Thomas Keller and Charlie Trotter and Ritz Carlton chefs and Four Season chefs.
之后又結識了Thomas Keller,Charlie Trotter以及Ritz Carlton的廚師和四季酒店的廚師。
And they've allowed us an existence in agriculture.
是他們讓我們家在種植行業有了立足之地。
We're indebted to those chefs that have given us the privilege and the path to be able to follow our dream of farming.
我們非常感謝那些讓我們能夠有幸和他們合作,追逐我們的農業夢想的廚師。
So it's that symbiotic relationship of chef and farmer working together for the greater good.
廚師和農戶之間的這種共生關系激勵著我們為了更遠大的利益共同努力。
And here we are 35 years later still working to get better.
所以,35年后的今天,我們還在為了更上一層樓而努力。
To the best of our ability, right now, in this place, I think we're doing the right thing,
此時此刻,努力發揮自己最大的能力,我覺得我們的決定是正確的,
and I think that trumps every other reason for whatever you do in this life.
無論你干的是哪行哪業,這個理由都完勝其他任何理由。