Dialogue 1
Jingjing: Hi Mark, are you ready to head out?
京晶:嗨,馬克,準備好出門了嗎?
David: Actually, I'm not Mark. I'm his twin brother, David.
大衛:其實我不是馬克。我是他的孿生兄弟大衛。
Jingjing: What?! I know it's you, Mark. You're just putting me on.
京晶:什么?!馬克,我知道是你。你只是在讓我上當。
David: No, really. I can show you my passport later.
大衛:不,是真的。我一會兒可以讓你看我的護照。
Jingjing: This is some kind of weird joke. I'm sure of it.
京晶:這是一個好奇怪的笑話。我肯定。
David: Well, Mark told me you planned to go out for a long walk with him. A work thing came up; and, he couldn't get out of it. So, since I'm visiting for a few days, I thought I'd take his place.
大衛:呃,馬克告訴我你打算和他一起出去散個長步。可是他突然來了工作; 又無法擺脫。所以,正好我來這邊拜訪幾天,我想可以代替他吧。
Jingjing: Uh, ok... Do you know much about Beijing?
京晶:呃,好的......你對北京了解多嗎?
David: Mark's told me a few things; and I'm a history buff. But I don't know how to get around.
大衛:馬克告訴我一些了;而且我是歷史迷。但我不知道怎么能到處逛逛。
Jingjing: I can help with that. The cool thing about Beijing is that there are long parks all over the city. So, it's possible to walk for a whole day, shaded by big trees almost all the time.
京晶:我可以幫忙。北京最酷的事情是整個城市到處都有很長的公園。所以,可以在大樹的綠蔭下走上一整天。
David: And, today, we're going to put that to the test, isn't that so?
大衛:所以,今天我們要試一試,對嗎?
Jingjing: That's right. I thought we'd start out on yellow bikes, then go by foot once we get to a park, and then pick up bikes any time our feet get tired.
京晶:沒錯。我想可以先騎上黃色自行車,到達公園后再走路,然后在我們的腳走累的時候隨時再騎上自行車。
David: Yellow bikes? What are those?
大衛:黃色自行車?是什么?
Jingjing: They're shared bicycles. Haven't you seen them all over the city?
京晶:共享單車。你沒有在城市各處看到過它們嗎?
David: I've seen tons of bikes. Come to think of it, a lot of them were yellow.
大衛:我見過很多自行車。仔細想想,很多都是黃色的。
Jingjing: Those are bikes anyone can rent. One of the largest companies paints their bikes yellow, and calls them 小黃車(xi?ohuángchē).
京晶:這些是人人可租用的自行車。其中一家最大的公司將他們的自行車涂成黃色,并稱它為小黃車
David: That's a catchy name. I know 小黃 is a colloquialism for taxicab. And 小黃人 refers to those ubiquitous minions from the Despicable Me movies.
大衛:這真是一個吸引人的名字。我知道小黃是出租車的俗語。小黃人指的是電影“神偷奶爸”里面無處不在的小人兒。
Jingjing: I see you share Mark's way of thinking. Let's get going now, shall we?
京晶:我覺得你跟馬克的思維方式很像。那我們現在準備出發吧,好嗎?
New words : 習語短語
twin brother 孿生兄弟
brother born on the same day (identical twin if they look the same, fraternal twin if they look different)
putting me on 讓我上當
(phrasal verb) joking, trying to get someone to believe something unlikely/silly
a work thing 工作的事
something to do at work
put that to the test 試驗
apply something, see if it's true in real life
colloquialism 俗語
a common phrase with a meaning that can't be known from the formal definition of the words (i.e. a real job—professional and full-time employment; blue collar jobs—employment requiring physical labor but not much education; on the job—employment as a police officer)
ubiquitous 無處不在
seen everywhere, almost always the same (i.e. Starbucks is ubiquitous worldwide)
Dialogue 2
Jingjing: Ok, here are several bikes. Let's look them over to see which ones are in the best condition.
京晶:好,這里有幾輛自行車。讓我們看看哪些單車是狀況最好的。
David: These two are in tip top shape. How do you actually rent it?
大衛:這兩個都最好的。你怎么租呢?
Jingjing: That's easy, you just scan the QR code, and pay the fee with your phone.
京晶:很簡單,您只需掃描二維碼,然后用手機支付費用。
David: Oh, the thing is, I haven't set up any online payments through my phone.
大衛:哦,問題是,我沒有通過手機設置任何在線支付。
Jingjing: No problem. I can rent them both.
京晶:沒問題。我可以租兩個。
David: Wow, the bike feels a little clunky, but rides pretty smoothly.
大衛:哇,自行車感覺有點笨重,但騎得卻很順。
Jingjing: Yep. The best thing is, we can ditch these anywhere and rent other ones along the way.
京晶:是的。最棒的是,我們可以在任何地方拋下這些單車,然后在沿途再租別的單車。
Jingjing: Ok, Mark—I mean, David—: There's a park up ahead. So, let's pull up to the curb and lock them up.
京晶:好的,馬克 - 我的意思是,大衛 ,前面有一個公園。所以我們把它們停在路邊然后鎖起來吧。
David: Great. So, I just trigger this lock on the back wheel?
大衛:好的。那么,我只是需要在后輪上鎖起這個鎖?
Jingjing: That's all you have to do. This park goes on for a few kilometers. We could get to the other end, and then look for some place to have lunch.
京晶:這就是所有你需要做的了(就這么做)。這個公園有幾公里長。我們去可以到另一頭,然后找地方吃午飯。
David: Is it free to enter the park?
大衛:進入公園是免費的嗎?
Jingjing: Yes, this one is. There's a gate just so cars don't go in and so that the park can be closed at night. Other parks in Beijing cost a few yuan, usually less than 10 unless they're historic sites.
京晶:對,這個是。這有一個門,汽車不能進,所以公園可以在晚上關閉。北京的其他公園要花費幾塊錢,通常不到10元,除非它們是歷史遺跡。
David: That's a good deal. Hey, if there's something I can pay for with cash, let me take care of it, since I can't pay for stuff with my phone.
大衛:真劃算。嘿,如果有什么可以用現金支付的讓我來吧,因為我不能用手機支付買東西。
Jingjing: Both you and Mark are stuck in the 20th century. Don't worry about it.Well, we picked a fine day for a walk.
京晶:你和馬克都停留了在20世紀了。你不用管了。你看,我們選擇了多美好的一天來散步。
New words : 習語短語
in tip top shape 狀態很好
in excellent condition (can be used for an object or a person)
the thing is... 問題是
the problem is..., the interesting feature is..., the main consideration is...
clunky 笨重
heavy, hard to move
ditch 拋棄 get rid of, discard (usually used for an object but can be used for a person, i.e. We ditched him at the cinema.)
curb 路邊,馬路牙子
the raised edge of a sidewalk
trigger 觸發
start something big by making a small action
stuck in 停留在
still living as though it were
n. 丟牌,廢牌
vt. 丟棄,拋棄