If you have money that's been damaged in a fire, in a flood, that's been eaten by insects or animals,
如果你的錢被火燒毀了,被水浸濕了,又或者是被昆蟲或是動物咬壞了,
we'll evaluate and determine how much is there and reimburse you for it.
我們會對這些錢進行估值,然后以相應的金額補償給你。
My name is Eric Walsh, I'm the assistant manager at the Mutilated Currency Division.
我是Eric Walsh,是毀損貨幣處的助理經理。
Every year, the Mutilated Currency Division receives about 23,000 cases,
每年,毀損貨幣處都會接到將近23,000件毀損貨幣兌換事務,
people will send money that's been somehow damaged, and we reimburse, annually, about 40 million dollars.
人們把帶有一定程度損傷的錢送到這里,我們負責給他們補償,每年補償的金額大約在4千萬美元。
It's a free service the government provides that we pay dollar in dollar out.
這是政府提供的一項以錢換錢的免費服務。
We require 51 percent of the note present to pay on it and that just protects us from paying twice on the same note.
拿過來的錢的大小至少要占整張紙幣的51%才可以兌換,這是為了確保同一張紙幣不會重復兌換兩次。
Once we determine the amount, we will send a treasury check for what we discover.
確定了金額之后,我們會就我們的了解開一張支票。
We're pretty low-tech here,
我們這里的修復技術還比較有限,
so the tools of the trade are scissors, knives, scalpels, glue and tape, and maybe a pair of tweezers.
所以我們干這行用的都是些剪刀啊、刀啊,手術刀啊,膠水和膠帶,有時候還會用到鑷子。
The most challenging cases are usually cases that the money has gotten wet and sat for long periods of times,
最棘手的通常要數那些弄濕了又放了很長一段時間的那種錢,
and it'll actually petrify and be solid as a brick.
因為那個時候錢已經變硬了,硬得跟磚頭都有一拼了。
A lot of it is "the dog ate my money." We get hundreds of those cases a year.
很多客戶過來都是因為“我的錢被狗子吃了。”這種案例我們一年就要碰到幾百次。
A lot of people will hide their money in the oven and forget about it,
很多人都會把錢藏到烤箱,結果自己給忘了,
or they'll get it wet and put it in the microwave and that will ignite the currency.
或者他們把錢弄濕了就放到微波爐里烤,結果就給點著了。

Our most infamous case took place in the '80s,
我們經手的后來流傳最廣的是80年代的一個案子,
and what happened was a farmer lost his wallet in a field and discovered that his cow had eaten it,
事情的原委是一位農民在田里丟了錢包,結果發現他的牛把錢包給吃了,
and we always encourage the submitter to send in the package as it is;
因為我們總是鼓勵大家按原樣把東西寄過來;
and the farmer sent in the cow's stomach,
結果他就把牛胃給寄來了,
which we were able to retrieve the wallet from and reimburse the farmer his currency.
我們還真的就從那里面把錢包取了出來,然后把農夫的錢補給了他。
Our office consists of just under 20 people,
我們的辦公室只有不到20個人,
and we have 12 people that examine and process the submissions,
其中12個人負責審查和處理提交的文件,
and they do roughly between 1,000 and 2,000 claims each year.
他們每年大約要處理1,000到2,000件索賠事務。
We do get an increased amount of cases after a natural disaster.
自然災害發生之后我們的業務量確實會加大。
Over the past year between the hurricanes and wildfires out in California, we've reimbursed over two million dollars.
過去的一年里颶風不斷,加利福尼亞還發生了大火,我們已經報銷了200多萬美元了。
We're called upon when a lot of people hit their low point,
很多人陷入人生低谷的時候就是我們被召集起來工作的時候,
so any relief that you could provide someone after they lost all their money in a flood or after their house burned down is very rewarding.
當大家在洪災或者大火中失去了所有的錢的時候,你能給他們提供的任何幫助都會是非常值得的。
Hopefully we're a service that you will never need to use, but in case something does happen, we're here for you.
但愿大家永遠都不會需要我們的服務,不過萬一真發生了什么事兒,我們隨時恭候您的到來。