This Great Big Story was made possible by Wells Fargo. Established 1852. Re-Established 2018.
感謝首創于1852年,重組于2018年的富國銀行對本期“偉大的故事”的大力支持。
When my little brother Lucas was born,
弟弟盧卡斯出生時,
my parents were told that he wouldn't walk or talk and the doctors even said he might not make it to his tenth birthday.
醫生告訴我父母,他既不會走路,也不會說話,甚至還活不到十歲生日那天。
But today, a few months away from his tenth birthday, we're doing our fifteenth triathlon together.
但今天距離他的十歲生日只有幾個月時間來了,我們正一起參加我們的第十五次鐵人三項比賽。
My name is Noah Aldrich, and this is my brother, Lucas Aldrich.
我是諾亞·艾爾德瑞克,這是我弟弟盧卡斯·艾爾德瑞克。
Lucas, you've gotta stop talking.
盧卡斯,別說啦。
Gotta get the guy, Luke.
打他打他,盧克。
Noah is 11, and Lucas is nine, and Lucas was born with a rare genetic neurologic condition called lissencephaly.
諾亞現在11歲,盧卡斯9歲,盧卡斯出生時患有罕見的遺傳性神經系統病癥,也就是無腦回畸形癥。
He's unable to walk, unable to talk, he's unable to feed himself,
他沒辦法走路,沒辦法說話,也不能自己吃飯,
but despite all of his challenges, he's the happiest little boy that you'll ever meet.
但即便是面臨這所有的挑戰,他仍然是你遇到的最幸福的小男孩兒。
About four years ago, our boys started doing triathlons together,
大約四年前,我們的兩個孩子就開始一起跑鐵人三項了,
and most cases that wouldn't be a big deal, a lot of kids do triathlons,
大多數情況下這都沒什么大不了的,很多孩子都會鐵人三項,
but there's something very special about the way our boys do triathlons.
但是我們家這兩個孩子跑三項全能運動的方式很特別。
I pull Lucas in a raft for the swim portion.
游泳環節我把盧卡斯放在筏子上。
Then, I pull him in a bike cart during the bike.
在接下來的自行車賽環節我就把他放在我自行車后面拉的小車里。
And I push him in a running cart during the run.
在長跑的環節我就推著他的車跑。
I wanted to do this because Lucas can't do things like we can.
我想這樣做,是因為我們能做的事情,盧卡斯不能做。
He can't really play sports, so this is something we can do together.
他不能自己參加體育比賽,所以我就和他一起。

Currently, we're training for our fifteenth triathlon, which is this weekend.
目前我們正在為我們參加的第十五次鐵人三項比賽,也就是這個周末那場進行訓練。
Before the race I always feel nervous.
賽前我覺得非常緊張。
I don't think I'll ever get over that. I just don't want to hurt Lucas.
恐怕我永遠都沒辦法克服這種情緒了,因為我不想傷害盧卡斯。
I don't care if I win the race, he just has to be okay.
我不在乎比賽的輸贏,只要盧卡斯好好的就可以了。
Before the race, Lucas gets serious and he gets his race face on and they're ready to compete.
比賽開始之前,盧卡斯變得嚴肅起來,他們已經做好比賽的準備了。
Two, one! They swim around 200 yards.
二,一!他們要游差不多200碼(約180米)。
Then they transition to a bike.
之后換成自行車。
They'll go usually about three to five miles.
通常會騎三到五英里(約5-8公里)。
And then they'll run about a mile.
最后再跑差不多一英里(約1.6公里)。
Noah's strong physically and especially mentally.
諾亞不僅身體很強壯,精神上尤其強大。
Because he's truly only doing these races for his brother.
因為他參加這些比賽真的只是為了弟弟。
Sometimes I feel like, God, it's gotta be over soon, right?
有時我會想,啊,快到終點了吧?
But I just hear Lucas.
但我聽到了盧卡斯的聲音。
That's how he says, “Go faster”.
他是在說“快點兒”。
Come on, go go go! Go, buddy, go go go! Nice!
加油!加油!加油!兄弟,加油加油加油!耶!
Every day is precious with that little boy.
和這個小男孩在一起的每一天都很珍貴。
I try to soak in the experience, because we don't know how long the boys will be able to do triathlons together.
我試著去享受這次經歷,因為我們不知道這項比賽他們還能一起參加多久。
Any one of them could be their last.
任何一場比賽都可能是他們參加的最后一場比賽。
What these boys accomplish gives me an immense sense of pride.
兄弟倆取得的成就給了我極大的自豪感。
Noah and Lucas are an inspiration.
諾亞和盧卡斯的事跡也鼓舞了很多人。
People see these two young boys, and it gives them hope and it gives them encouragement to go out and tackle life challenges.
看到這兩個小男孩給他們帶來了希望,鼓勵他們走出去勇敢地迎接生活挑戰。