Chapter 5 Are You My Mentor?
第5章 如何找到你的人生導師
When I was a child, one of my favorite books was Are You My Mother?,
小時候我最喜歡的一本書是《你是我的媽媽嗎?》,
the story of a baby bird that emerges from its shell to discover an empty nest.
講的是一只雛鳥破殼而出,卻發現自己獨守空巢,
The hatchling heads off in search of its missing mother, asking a kitten, a hen, a dog, and a cow the burning question: "Are you my mother?"
于是它出發去尋找媽媽的故事。一路上,小鳥急切地向小貓、小雞、小狗,還有一頭奶牛問同一個問題:“你是我的媽媽嗎?”
Each animal responds, "No."
它們都回答說“不是”。
The hatchling grows more desperate, eventually shouting, "Are you my mother?" at a car, a boat, a plane, and even a steam shovel, which can only respond with a loud "Snort!"
小鳥越來越絕望,最后竟朝著汽車、輪船、飛機,甚至是挖掘機大叫:“你是我的媽媽嗎?”挖掘機的回應只是響亮的噴氣聲。
Stuck in the shovel's jaws, the hatchling appears doomed until, miraculously, the shovel lifts the bird back to its nest.
被卡在挖掘機鏟斗里的小鳥似乎在劫難逃,但鏟斗居然奇跡般地將它送回了鳥巢。
The mother returns and the hatchling announces, "You are a bird, and you are my mother."
終于,鳥媽媽回來了,小鳥說:“啊,你才是我的媽媽!”
This children's book poignantly mirrors the professional question "Are you my mentor?"
這本書切中了一個職業問題:“你是我的人生導師嗎?”
If someone has to ask the question, the answer is probably no.
如果有人一定要問,得到的答案很可能是“不是”。
When someone finds the right mentor, it is obvious. The question becomes a statement.
當一個人想找到合適的導師時,一切看上去都理所當然,而且問題本身也變成了一種聲明。
Chasing or forcing that connection rarely works, and yet I see women attempt this all the time.
可是,追求或勉強建立這樣的關系卻幾乎沒什么效果,但是在現實生活中,很多女性經常這樣做。