Why do so many people reach success and then fail?
為什么有這么多人在成功以后失敗?
One of the big reasons is, we think success is a one-way street.
最主要的原因之一是,我們把成功當作一條單行道。
So we do everything that leads up to success, but then we get there.
我們盡其所能地達到成功,當我們到達那一步以后,
We figure we've made it, we sit back in our comfort zone,
我們覺得我們已經做到了,我們便閑散下來,
and we actually stop doing everything that made us successful.
不再繼續那些當初讓我們成功的努力。
And it doesn't take long to go downhill.
用不了太久,事情就開始走下坡。
And I can tell you this happens, because it happened to me.
我可以告訴你這是怎么回事,因為這是我的親身體驗。
Reaching success, I worked hard, I pushed myself.
為了成功,我努力工作,我鞭策自己。
But then I stopped, because I figured, "Oh, you know, I made it. I can just sit back and relax."
但我停了下來,因為我想,“我已經做到了,現在我可以坐著休息了。”
Reaching success, I always tried to improve and do good work.
為了成功,我總是試著做到最好,超越自己。
But then I stopped because I figured, "Hey, I'm good enough. I don't need to improve any more."
我不再這么做是因為我想,“我已經夠好了,我不再需要改進了。”
Reaching success, I was pretty good at coming up with good ideas.
為了成功,我總是有很多好的創意。
Because I did all these simple things that led to ideas.
因為我做了這些讓我達到成功的事。
But then I stopped, because I figured I was this hot-shot guy and I shouldn't have to work at ideas,
但我停下來了,因為我想我是個大腕了,我不用再想這些點子,
they should just come like magic. And the only thing that came was creative block.
它們會自動出現的,但唯一出現的是靈感障礙。
I couldn't come up with any ideas.
我沒辦法再想出任何點子。
Reaching success, I always focused on clients and projects, and ignored the money.
為了成功,我用心地關注我的客戶和計劃,而不是金錢。
Then all this money started pouring in. And I got distracted by it.
但一旦公司開始賺錢,我就開始分心了。
And suddenly I was on the phone to my stockbroker and my real estate agent, when I should have been talking to my clients.
我發現在我應該花時間關心客戶的時候,卻總是在與股票經紀人、地產經紀人講電話。