Because in my older years, I've become somewhat of a clairvoyant.
到了我這把年紀,我可以說是已經開了慧眼了。
I can predict school scores. You take me to any school.
我可以很容易地預測到某所學校的成績的。只要你把我帶到任何一所學校。
I'm really good at inner city schools that are struggling.
我尤其善于預測市區那些辦學水平不怎么樣的學校。
And you tell me last year 48 percent of those kids were on grade level.
只要你告訴我去年學校有48%的學生取得及格以上的學業成績就行。
And I say, "Okay, what's the plan, what did we do from last year to this year?"
我會問:“那你們今年的計劃是什么?你采取的措施和去年的有什么不同?”
You say, "We're doing the same thing." I'm going to make a prediction.
如果你告訴我:“我們和去年的做法差不多。”那我就可以幫你預測一下了。
This year, somewhere between 44 and 52 percent of those kids will be on grade level. And I will be right every single time.
今年,你的及格以上的人數大約在44%到52%之間。而我每次的預測都全中。
So we're spending all of this money, but we're getting what?
我們花了這么多錢,可我們得到了些什么?
Teachers need real information right now about what's happening to their kids.
老師們需要的是及時的信息和數據--關于他們的學生學習真實情況的數據啊。
The high stakes is today, because you can do something about it.
不過,亡羊補牢為時不晚,因為我們還可以為此做些事情。
So here's the other issue that I just think we've got to be concerned about.
由此我想到了另外一個問題,我們得關心這個事情。
We can't stifle innovation in our business. We have to innovate.
在教育改革中,我們不能扼殺創新。我們必須創新。
And people in our business get mad about innovation.
可我們很多人會對創新抱抵觸的情緒。
They get angry if you do something different.
如果你要做些改變他們會很不爽。
If you try something new, people are always like, "Ooh, charter schools."
如果你想嘗試些新東西,總會有人說:“哦,又弄來一間特許的實驗學校了。”
Hey, let's try some stuff. Let's see. This stuff hasn't worked for 55 years.
但至少你讓我們來做些嘗試吧。我們現行的制度55年來都沒起什么作用啊。
Let's try something different. And here's the rub. Some of it's not going to work.
讓我們來嘗試些新的東西行不行呢?可這也有難處。有些特許的實驗學校也不成功。
You know, people tell me, "Yeah, those charter schools, a lot of them don't work."
要知道,也有人告訴我:“唉,那些特許學校有很多也是不成功的啊。”
A lot of them don't. They should be closed. I mean, I really believe they should be closed.
那些不成功的學校,就應該關掉。說實話,我真的認為它們應該關掉。
But we can't confuse figuring out the science and things not working with we shouldn't therefore do anything. Right?
但我們不能將科學和那些不起作用的東西混在一起,然后說,我們什么也不用做啊。是吧?
Because that's not the way the world works.
因為這個世界本來就不是那樣子的。