Dialogue 1
Jingjing: Hey Mark, keeping cool?
京晶:嘿,馬克,涼快嗎?(酷嗎?)
Mark: What? It's not that hot yet. I'd be glad if this were as hot as it got through September. But I know we have a few months of warm, hot, and sweltering days up ahead of us.
馬克:什么?還沒有那么熱。如果一直這個溫度過夏天就好了。但我知道還有好幾個月熱得讓人不舒服的日子等著我們呢。
Jingjing: I've got some ice cream. Would you like some?
京晶:我這兒有冰激淋,想來點兒嗎?
Mark: I would, but I just finished lunch and need to get back to work right away. Do you have it in the freezer?
馬克:想啊,但我剛吃完午飯,需要馬上回去工作了。你冰箱里還有嗎?
Jingjing: Yeah, I'll save some for you. It's chocolate chocolate chip.
京晶:有啊,那我給你留點兒。是巧克力味的,巧克力粒。
Mark: What brand is it?
馬克:什么牌子的?
Jingjing: I'm not really sure. Are you an ice cream snob?
京晶:我不太確定。你是吃冰激淋還講究品牌的人嗎?
Mark: No. I mean, I'm always grateful for free ice cream. I was just wondering what to look forward to after work.
馬克:不是,我是說,免費的我都喜歡。我只是很好奇工作完了我有什么期待。
Jingjing: What's your favorite brand?
京晶:那你最喜歡的牌子是什么?
Mark: You might not have heard of it: Ben & Jerry's. In the States, it's one of the big ones, like Häagen-Dazs or Baskin-Robbins.
馬克:你可能都沒聽說過:本杰瑞。在美國,它是其中的一款大牌,就像哈根達斯和芭斯羅繽一樣。
Jingjing: I can't say I have. Those other two brands are kind of expensive though. Is Ben & Jerry's also pretty pricey?
京晶:我還真沒聽說過。那兩個牌子還真有點貴。本杰瑞也價格不菲嗎?
Mark: Yeah. But, I mean, if you're going to have ice cream once in a while, it's worth it to get something really delicious.
馬克:是呢。但我意思是,如果你只是偶爾吃吃冰激凌,值得吃點真正美味的。
Jingjing: What's your favorite flavor?
京晶:你最喜歡什么口味?
Mark: I like mint chocolate cookie. I can eat a whole pint of that before getting tired of it, maybe two!
馬克:我喜歡薄荷巧克力餅干,我可以吃下整整一品脫,直到吃膩,也許兩品脫!
Jingjing: Well, it sounds like you really pig out on ice cream—once in a while.
京晶:聽上去你還真時不常地大吃特吃冰激淋呢。
Mark: Yeah, once in a while. See you after work, Jingjing! Keep that ice cream cold for me!
馬克:是啊,偶爾嘛。下班后見哦京晶,別讓我的冰激淋化了??!
New words: 習語短語
sweltering 熱而不舒服的天氣
very hot weather, uncomfortable
snob 某種物品只買大牌的人
someone who only likes the most expensive brands
the big ones 大牌
famous brands, seen everywhere
Dialogue 2
Jingjing: There you are, Mark. All done with work?
京晶:給你,馬克,工作都完成吧?
Mark: Yep. I'm ready for a treat!
馬克:是呢。我準備好了享受招待了!
Jingjing: Someone ate up the ice cream we were talking about. So, here's a Wa Wa Lian. Have you had it before?
京晶:有人吃光了之前我們說的冰激淋。所以,喏,這有一只娃娃臉,你之前吃過嗎?
Mark: Yeah, lots of times. It's one of my favorite kinds of ice cream sold at corner stores.
馬克:吃過好多次了。這是在街邊店里賣的我最喜歡的一款冰激淋。
Jingjing: I've had this kind of ice cream since I was a kid. I like how the face is made from chocolate and vanilla.
京晶:我小時候吃過。我很喜歡巧克力和香草做成的臉。
Mark: Yeah, it's fun to eat. Say, I forgot to ask, what's your favorite kind of ice cream—besides Wa Wa Lian?
馬克:是啊,吃著很好玩。我忘了問,除了娃娃臉,你最喜歡哪種冰激淋?
Jingjing: Actually, I like some of the healthier alternatives, like frozen yogurt or sorbet.
京晶:說真的,我喜歡一些更健康的替代品,比如冰凍酸奶和雪芭。
Mark: Those are healthier, because they have less cream.
馬克:那些就是更健康呢,因為有更少的奶油。
Jingjing: Yeah, sherbet is okay too, with some cream. Mainly, I like fruit flavors—strawberry, peach, blueberry. And those taste really fresh as frozen yogurt or sherbet or sorbet.
京晶:是的,冰凍果露也好,再帶點奶油。我主要喜歡水果口味——草莓,桃,藍莓。這些口味非常清新,就像冰酸奶,冰果露和雪芭一樣。
Mark: Well, it sounds like you and I like different flavors.
馬克:聽上去你和我喜歡的口味不同。
Jingjing: That might be. But I agree that a frozen treat should be good quality.
京晶:可能吧。但我同意冰凍甜食必須得質量好。
Mark: Have you ever tried to make ice cream yourself?
馬克:你試過自己做冰激淋嗎?
Jingjing: You mean like with a machine? No, I haven't.
京晶:你是說用機器做嗎?沒有呢
Mark: I did, but it took a long time, and didn't taste very good.
馬克:我做過,真花時間啊,完了味道還不怎么好。
Jingjing: Ha ha. I prefer to buy ice cream—or frozen yogurt—and then add a lot more fresh fruit myself.
京晶:哈哈。我寧愿買冰激淋,或者冰酸奶—然后自己多加點新鮮水果。
Mark: Good idea, that way you're making a sundae or a banana split.
馬克:好辦法。這樣一來,你就做了一個圣代,或者香蕉圣代。
Jingjing: Stop! You're making me hungry!
京晶:停停停,你這么一說,我都餓了。
New words: 習語短語
vanilla 香草
alternatives 替代物
similar things, but different in one important way (low-fat alternatives, sugar-free alternatives, vegetarian alternatives)
frozen yogurt 冰凍酸奶
sorbet 冰糕
frozen fruit juice and sugar, with no milk or cream at all
sherbet 冰凍果子露
frozen fruit juice and sugar, with a little cream—lighter than ice cream
sundae 圣代
a dish made with ice cream, syrup and fruit
banana split 香蕉圣代
a dish made like a sundae, but served over a banana that has been cut in half lengthwise