I returned to D C. with a plan to attend law school,
當我返回華盛頓后,原計劃去上法學院,
but Lant Pritchett, an economist in Larry's office who has devoted his life to the study of poverty, persuaded me that business school would be a better alternative.
但拉里辦公室里的一位畢生致力研究貧困現象的經濟學家蘭特·普里切特勸我說,商學院會是我更好的選擇。
I headed back to Cambridge.
于是我回到了坎布里奇,
I tried to stay socially conscious by joining the highly unpopular Nonprofit Club.
加入了相當不受歡迎的非營利性倶樂部,試圖保持自己的社會意識。
I also spent my second year studying social marketing—how marketing can be used to solve social problems—with Professor Kash Rangan.
我還在入學后的第二年師從卡什·雷根,學習社會營銷,通過營銷來解決社會問題。
One of the cases we worked on concerned the shortage of organ donations, which results in eighteen deaths each day in the United States alone.
我們的工作案例之一涉及器官捐贈的短缺,這個問題導致僅在美國每天就有18例病患死亡。
I never forgot this case, and seventeen years later,
我從未忘記過這個案例。17年后,
Facebook worked with organ registries around the world to launch a tool to encourage donor registration.
臉譜網與世界各地的器官捐贈注冊機構合作,呼吁人們作為器官捐贈者進行登記注冊。
After business school, I took a job as a consultant at McKinsey & Company in Los Angeles.
從商學院畢業后,我去了位于洛杉磯的麥肯錫公司做顧問。
The work never entirely suited me,
這份工作很不適合我,
so I stayed for only a year and then moved back to D.C. to join Larry, who was now deputy secretary of the Treasury Department.
所以一年后我又回到財政部與拉里·薩默斯一起工作,薩默斯當時已是美國財政部副部長。
At first, I served as his special assistant.
我一開始是他的特別助理,
Then, when he was named secretary, I became his chief of staff.
當薩默斯被任命為美國財政部部長后,我就成了他的首席幕僚。
My job consisted of helping Larry manage the operations of the department and its $14 billion budget.
我的工作內容包括幫助薩默斯教授管理其辦公室日常工作及140億美元的預算,
It gave me the opportunity to participate in economic policy at both a national and an international level.
這讓我有機會同時從美國國內和國際的雙重層面參與經濟政策領域的工作。