She has remained a passionate volunteer and human rights activist ever since.
母親一直是個熱情活躍的志愿者和人權主義者。
I grew up watching my mother work tirelessly on behalf of persecuted Jews in the Soviet Union.
小時候我總能看到她為了蘇聯受到迫害的猶太人不知疲倦地忙碌奔波;
She and her friend Margery Sanford would write heartfelt appeals calling for the release of political prisoners.
她還和朋友瑪杰里·桑福德寫下激昂的請愿書,呼吁釋放政治囚犯。
In the evenings, my dad would join them.
同時,我的父親也加入了她們的活動。
Thanks to the collective efforts of concerned people all over the world, many lives were saved.
在世界各地熱心人的共同努力下,許多無辜的生命得以拯救。
Throughout my childhood, my parents emphasized the importance of pursuing a meaningful life.
我的整個童年時代,父母都在強調追求有意義的人生是多么重要。
Dinner discussions often centered on social injustice and those fighting to make the world a better place.
他們在飯桌上討論的話題,常常是社會的不公正以及如何讓世界變得更美好。
As a child, I never thought about what I wanted to be, but I thought a lot about what I wanted to do.
作為一個孩子,我從沒想過自己以后會成為什么樣的人,但對于想要做的事我曾思考了很久。
As sappy as it sounds, I hoped to change the world.
盡管聽起來很傻,但我還是希望自己能改變世界。
My sister and brother both became doctors, and I always believed I would work at a nonprofit or in government. That was my dream.
我的弟妹妹都夢想成為一名醫生,而我總認為自己會為一個非營利組織工作或是在政府機關里就職,這就是我的理想。
And while I don't believe in mapping out each step of a career, I do believe it helps to have a long-term dream or goal.
盡管我不主張規劃出事業的每一步,但心存一個長遠的夢想的確是有幫助的。
A long-term dream does not have to be realistic or even specific.
長遠的夢想并不一定要特別具體,
It may reflect the desire to work in a particular field or to travel throughout the world.
但它應該能反映出一個人大致的工作方向。
Maybe the dream is to have professional autonomy or a certain amount of free time.
也許你的夢想是在職場里獨當一面,或是有一定的空閑時間做一個自由職業者,
Maybe it's to create something lasting or win a coveted prize.
也可以是從事創造性的工作,甚至期望獲得夢寐以求的某項大獎。