They experience painful emotions, the difference between them and the rest was
他們經歷過痛苦,他們與剩下的人之間的區別是
that they recovered more promptly as a result of different interpretations.
由于不同的詮釋,他們恢復得更迅速
So when they felt down, they were optimistic instead of saying "ok, so I'm going to feel down for the rest of the month",
所以他們沮喪時,他們很樂觀,不說“這個月剩下的日子我都會沮喪”
they said "ok, so I'm feeling down, big deal.
他們說“我很沮喪,沒什么大不了”
What can I learn from it? What happen? How can I make myself feel better?"
我能從中學到什么?發生了什么?我怎樣讓自己感覺好點
And then they recovered more promptly than the pessimists, the people who remained depressed for a much longer time.
然后他們比悲觀者恢復得更快,悲觀者會沮喪很長一段時間
You see, events happen, things happen in the world, very often out of our control.
事件發生,世上有很多事發生,經常不受我們的控制
We don't create everything that we encounter.
我們不能創造所有遇到的事物

And some of the events are bad, some are negative.
有些事件是不好的,有些是消極的
What matters more is what we do with them after, how we evaluate them.
更重要的是我們之后怎樣對待它們,怎樣評估它們
And what happens is that our evaluation becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy, because a pessimist will say
事實上我們的評估成了自我實現預言,因為悲觀者會說
"I'm in a bad mood now, it's going to last for a very long time, it's not going to go away",
"我現在心情不好會持續很長時間,不會消失"
whereas an optimist says "it's temporary, it's going to go away" and believes our self-fulfilling prophecies.
而樂觀者會說"這是暫時的,會消失的",并相信我們的自我實現預言
If I believe that it will last for six months, it's much more likely,
如果我認為它會持續六個月,它更有可能
not necessarily, but it's much more likely to last for six months than if I say "that too shall pass".
不一定,但更可能持續六個月,比我說“那也會過去的”