"You are nothing but a big coward.”
“你不過一個龐大的膽小鬼罷了。”
"I know it," said the Lion, hanging his head in shame. "I've always known it. But how can I help it."
“我知道我很怯懦,”獅子說,羞愧地低著頭;“我也知道這個的缺點。誰又能幫助我彌補這個缺點呢?”
"I don't know, I'm sure. To think of your striking a stuffed man, like the poor Scarecrow!"
“這我也不知道的。你難道沒有想過嗎,打擊一個填塞著稻草的人,就像這個可憐的稻草人!”
"Is he stuffed?" asked the Lion in surprise, as he watched her pick up the Scarecrow and set him upon his feet, while she patted him into shape again.
他真是稻草人嗎?”獅子驚訝地問,它一直望著多蘿茜把稻草人扶起,并讓他站穩,又輕輕地拍著他,使它恢復原來的樣子。
"Of course he's stuffed," replied Dorothy, who was still angry.
多蘿茜生氣地回答:“當然,任何人都看得出來。”
"That's why he went over so easily," remarked the Lion.
“這是他容易跌出去的原因,”獅子批評說。
"It astonished me to see him whirl around so. Is the other one stuffed also?"
“看他這樣地旋轉著,倒使我吃驚。另外一個也是稻草人嗎?”
"No," said Dorothy, "he's made of tin."
“不,”多蘿茜說,“他是用鐵皮做的。”
And she helped the Tin Woodman up again.
說著,她又去幫助鐵皮人站起來。
"That's why he nearly blunted my claws," said the Lion.
“怪不得,他幾乎都要把我的爪子弄鈍了,”獅子說,
"When they scratched against the tin it made a cold shiver run down my back.
“當我的腳爪抓著那鐵皮時,我的背上一陣冷顫。
What is that little animal you so tender of?"
那只你特別關心的小動物是?”
"He is my dog, Toto." answered Dorothy.
多蘿茜回答說:“它是我的狗,名叫托托。”
"Is he made of tin or stuffed?" asked the Lion.
獅子問:“它是用鐵皮做的,還是用稻草填塞的?”
"Neither. He's a-a-a meat dog," said the girl.
女孩子說:“都不是。它是有血有肉的狗。”
"Oh! he's a curious animal and seems remarkably small, now that I look at him.
啊!它是一只很有意思的動物,這么小。