I have been teaching for a long time, and in doing so have acquired a body of knowledge about kids
我從事教師工作很長一段時間了,而在我教書的過程當中我學了很多關于孩子與學習的知識,
and learning that I really wish more people would understand about the potential of students.
我非常希望更多人可以了解學生的潛能。
In 1931, my grandmother -- bottom left for you guys over here -- graduated from the eighth grade.
1931年,我的祖母--從你們那邊看過來左下角那位--從八年級畢業。
She went to school to get the information because that's where the information lived.
她上學是去獲取知識,因為在過去,那是知識存在的地方。
It was in the books; it was inside the teacher's head;
知識在書本里,在老師的腦袋里,
and she needed to go there to get the information, because that's how you learned.
而她需要專程到學校去獲得這些知識,因為那是當時學習的途徑。
Fast-forward a generation: this is the one-room schoolhouse, Oak Grove, where my father went to a one-room schoolhouse.
快進過一代:這是個只有一間教室的學校,Oak Grove,我父親就是在這間只有一個教室的學校就讀。
And he again had to travel to the school to get the information from the teacher,
而同樣的,他不得不去上學,從老師那兒取得知識,
stored it in the only portable memory he has, which is inside his own head, and take it with him,
然后將這些知識儲存在他唯一的移動內存,那就是他自己的腦袋里,然后將這些隨身攜帶,
because that is how information was being transported from teacher to student and then used in the world.
因為這是過去知識被傳遞的方式,從老師傳給學生,接著在世界上使用。
When I was a kid, we had a set of encyclopedias at my house.
當我還小的時候,我們家里有一套百科全書。
It was purchased the year I was born, and it was extraordinary,
從我一出生就買了這套書,而那是非常了不起的事情,
because I did not have to wait to go to the library to get to the information.
因為我不需要等著去圖書館取得這些知識。
The information was inside my house and it was awesome.
這些信息就在我的屋子里,而那真是太棒了。
This was different than either generation had experienced before,
這和過去相比是非常不同的,
and it changed the way I interacted with information even at just a small level.
這改變了我和信息互動的方式,即便改變的幅度很小。
But the information was closer to me. I could get access to it.
但這些知識卻離我更近了。我可以隨時獲取它們。