At times Jobs displayed a strange mixture of prickliness and neediness.
喬布斯時常會有一種奇怪的表現,一會兒渾身是刺,一會兒又渴望交流。
He usually didn't care one iota what people thought of him; he could cut people off and never care to speak to them again.
對此,他常常完全不在乎別人會怎么想。他可以跟人絕交,再也不想跟他們講話。
Yet sometimes he also felt a compulsion to explain himself.
但是有時他也有沖動解釋自己
So that evening Amelio received, to his surprise, a phone call from Jobs.
所以那天晚上,阿梅里奧接到喬布斯的電話很驚訝。
"Gee, Gil, I just wanted you to know, I talked to Ed today about this thing and I really feel bad about it," he said.
“吉爾,我只是想讓你知道,我今天跟埃德談了這件事,我真的感覺很糟糕,”他說,
"I want you to know that I had absolutely nothing to do with this turn of events,
“我想讓你知道我跟這些局勢的變化完全沒有關系,
it was a decision the board made, but they had asked me for advice and counsel."
那是董事會作出的決定,但是他們問了我的意見。”
He told Amelio he respected him for having "the highest integrity of anyone I've ever met,"
他告訴阿梅里奧他尊重他是“我所見過的最正直的人”,
and went on to give some unsolicited advice.
然后又主動給出了一些建議。
"Take six months off," Jobs told him. "When I got thrown out of Apple, I immediately went back to work, and I regretted it."
“休6個月的假,”喬布斯告訴他,“當年我被踢出蘋果時,立即開始了新的工作,后來很后悔。”
He offered to be a sounding board if Amelio ever wanted more advice.
他說任何時候阿梅里奧如果需要建議,都可以來找他。
Amelio was stunned but managed to mumble a few words of thanks.
阿梅里奧非常驚訝,稀里糊涂地表達了感謝,掛掉了電話。
He turned to his wife and recounted what Jobs said.
阿梅里奧跟妻子轉述了喬布斯的話。
"In ways, I still like the man, but I don't believe him," he told her.
“很大程度上,我還是喜歡這個人,但是我不信任他。”他告訴她。
"I was totally taken in by Steve," she said, "and I really feel like an idiot."
“我以前完全被史蒂夫給騙了,”她說,“我真覺得自己像個傻瓜。”
"Join the crowd," her husband replied.
“不光你一個人這么想。”他說。