This attitude arose partly out of his tendency to see the world in binary terms.
這種處事態度的部分源起,是他傾向于認為所有事都是非黑即白的。
A person was either a hero or a bozo, a product was either amazing or shit.
一個人不是英雄就是蠢材,一個產品不是奇跡就是垃圾。
But he could be stymied by things that were more complex, shaded, or nuanced:
但是他可能會對更加復雜、不清晰或差別不明顯的事情表現出困惑:
getting married, buying the right sofa, committing to run a company.
結婚、買沙發,抑或是承諾經營一家公司。
In addition, he didn't want to be set up for failure.
另外,他也不想做注定失敗的事情。
"I think Steve wanted to assess whether Apple could be saved," Fred Anderson said.
“我想史蒂夫是想評估一下蘋果是否可以被挽救。”弗雷德·安德森說。
Woolard and the board decided to go ahead and fire Amelio,
伍拉德和董事會決定繼續向前推進,解雇阿梅里奧,
even though Jobs was not yet forthcoming about how active a role he would play as an advisor.
即使喬布斯還不確定作為“顧問”他將承擔多少職責。
Amelio was about to go on a picnic with his wife, children, and grandchildren when the call came from Woolard in London.
當伍拉德從倫敦打電話時,阿梅里奧正要跟妻兒以及孫子孫女們一起去野餐。
"We need you to step down," Woolard said simply.
“我們需要你下臺。”伍拉德簡單地說。
Amelio replied that it was not a good time to discuss this, but Woolard felt he had to persist.
阿梅里奧回答說現在不是討論這個的合適時間,但是伍拉德決定他必須要堅持。
"We are going to announce that we're replacing you." Amelio resisted.
“我們將會宣布要把你換掉。”阿梅里奧還想反抗。
"Remember, Ed, I told the board it was going to take three years to get this company back on its feet again," he said.
“記得嗎,埃德,我當初告訴董事會需要三年時間讓這家公司重新站起來,”他說,
"I'm not even halfway through."
“現在我連一半還沒走到。”
"The board is at the place where we don't want to discuss it further," Woolard replied.
“董事會認為我們不想再繼續討論了。”伍拉德答道。
Amelio asked who knew about the decision, and Woolard told him the truth: the rest of the board plus Jobs.
阿梅里奧問都有誰知道這個決定,伍拉德實話實說:董事會其他成員加上喬布斯。
"Steve was one of the people we talked to about this," Woolard said.
“史蒂夫是我們討論這件事的人之一。”伍拉德說,
"His view is that you' re a really nice guy, but you don't know much about the computer industry."
“他的觀點是你是個好人,但是你對計算機行業了解得不多。”
"Why in the world would you involve Steve in a decision like this?" Amelio replied, getting angry.
“你們怎么會在作這樣的決定時把史蒂夫扯進來?”阿梅里奧生氣地說,
"Steve is not even a member of the board of directors, so what the hell is he doing in any of this conversation?"
“史蒂夫連董事會成員都不是,他到底為什么會參與這樣的討論?”
But Woolard didn't back down, and Amelio hung up to carry on with the family picnic before telling his wife.
但是伍拉德沒有讓步,阿梅里奧掛上電話,繼續跟家人去野餐,之后才告訴他妻子。