On his first Thursday back at Apple, Jobs called for a telephonic board meeting and outlined the problem.
在回到蘋果的第一個周四,喬布斯召集了董事會電話會議,提出了這個問題。
The directors balked. They asked for time to do a legal and financial study of what the change would mean.
董事們猶豫不決。他們讓他作一下法律和財務研究,看看這個變化意味著什么。
"It has to be done fast," Jobs told them. "We're losing good people."
“這事必須要盡快做,”喬布斯告訴他們,“我們正在流失人才。”
Even his supporter Ed Woolard, who headed the compensation committee, objected.
即使是他的支持者,時任薪酬委員會主席的埃德·伍拉德也表示反對。
"At DuPont we never did such a thing," he said.
“在杜邦公司我們從來沒做過這樣的事,”他說。
"You brought me here to fix this thing, and people are the key," Jobs argued.
“你們是讓我來解決問題的,而人才是問題的關鍵。”喬布斯爭論道。

When the board proposed a study that could take two months, Jobs exploded: "Are you nuts?!?"
當董事會建議進行一項可能會耗時兩個月的調研時,喬布斯爆發了。“你們瘋了嗎?!”
He paused for a long moment of silence, then continued.
他默默地停頓了很久,然后繼續說,
"Guys, if you don't want to do this, I'm not coming back on Monday.
“諸位,如果你們不愿這樣做,我下周一就不回來上班了。
Because I've got thousands of key decisions to make that are far more difficult than this,
因為我將面臨成千上萬個比這困難得多的決定要做,
and if you can't throw your support behind this kind of decision, I will fail.
如果你們在這樣的決定上都不支持我,我注定會失敗。
So if you can't do this, I'm out of here, and you can blame it on me, you can say, 'Steve wasn't up for the job.'"
所以如果你們不批準,我就辭職,你們可以怪到我頭上,你們可以說,‘史蒂夫沒準備好做這個工作。’”