The dominant kind of snobbery that exists nowadays is job snobbery.
今天,最主要的勢利就是對職業的勢利。
You encounter it within minutes at a party,
你在派對中不用一分鐘就能體會到,
when you get asked that famous iconic question of the early 21st century, "What do you do?"
當你被問到這個21世紀初最有代表性的問題:你是做什么的?
According to how you answer that question, people are either incredibly delighted to see you,
你的答案將會決定對方接下來的反應,對方可能對你在場感到榮幸,
or look at their watch and make their excuses.
或是開始看表然后想個借口離開。
Now, the opposite of a snob is your mother.
勢利鬼的相反,是你的母親。
Not necessarily your mother, or indeed mine, but, as it were, the ideal mother, somebody who doesn't care about your achievements.
不一定是你我的母親,而是一個理想母親的想象,一個永遠義無反顧的愛你,不在乎你是否功成名就的人。
Unfortunately, most people are not our mothers.
不幸地,大部分世人都不懷有這種母愛。
Most people make a strict correlation between how much time, and if you like, love
大部分世人決定要花費多少時間給于多少愛,
not romantic love, though that may be something
不一定是浪漫的那種愛,雖然那也包括在內,
but love in general, respect they are willing to accord us,
世人所愿意給我們的關愛、尊重,
that will be strictly defined by our position in the social hierarchy.
取決于我們的社會地位。
And that's a lot of the reason why we care so much about our careers and indeed start caring so much about material goods.
這就是為什么我們如此在乎事業和成就以及看重金錢和物質的原因。
You know, we're often told that we live in very materialistic times, that we're all greedy people.
我們時常被告知我們處在一個物質掛帥的時代,我們都是貪婪的人。
I don't think we are particularly materialistic.
我并不認為我們特別看重物質。
I think we live in a society which has simply pegged certain emotional rewards to the acquisition of material goods.
而是我認為我們活在一個物質能帶來大量情感反饋的時代。
It's not the material goods we want; it's the rewards we want.
我們想要的不是物質,而是背后的情感反饋。
It's a new way of looking at luxury goods.
這賦予奢侈品一個嶄新的意義。
The next time you see somebody driving a Ferrari, don't think, "This is somebody who's greedy."
下次你看到那些開著法拉利跑車的人,你不要想“這個人很貪婪”,
Think, "This is somebody who is incredibly vulnerable and in need of love."
而是“這是一個無比脆弱、急需愛的人”。
Feel sympathy, rather than contempt.
同情他們,不要鄙視他們。