Dialogue 1
Jingjing and Mark are having lunch together.
京晶和馬克在一起吃午餐
Jingjing: Mark, how are things in your corner?
京晶:馬克,最近怎么樣???
Mark: Well, most of my work is finished, and I'm just about ready for the holiday to begin. What about you?
馬克:我的大部分工作已經完成了,已經準備好過等待假期來臨了。你呢?
Jingjing: I wish I could say the same, but I'm still pretty busy for these next two or three weeks.
京晶:我也希望如此呢,但是我接下來兩三周還是會挺忙的。
Mark: Well, if you have the chance to get outside this evening, you'll see something really special.
馬克:那,如果你今晚能有機會到戶外去的話,你會看見非常特別的東西。
Jingjing: Oh yeah? What's that?
京晶:是嗎?是什么呢?
Mark: There's a super blue blood moon tonight.
馬克:今晚有超級大月亮藍色血月。
Jingjing: That's a mouthful! I know a blue moon is when we get a second full moon in one month.
京晶:真長真繞口??!我知道藍月是一個月中出現的第二次滿月。
Mark: Yeah, those are pretty rare. That's why we say 'once in a blue moon' to talk about something that very seldom happens.
馬克:是的,非常罕見了。這就是為什么我們有個說法叫做“'once in a blue moon'”就是形容罕有發生之事。
Jingjing: I know. A blue moon happens once every 2.72 years. Isn't a super moon when the moon is closer to Earth and looks a lot larger?
京晶:可不是嗎。每2.72年就會出現一次藍月,當月亮離地球更近,看上去更大了不就是一個超級大月亮嗎?
Mark: That's exactly right. Last year, we had a big one, and previously in 1948. The next one won't be until 2034.
馬克:非常正確。去年,我們就經歷了一次大月亮,上一次是1948年,下一次就是2034年了。
Jingjing: But tonight the moon will be close enough to be called a super moon, right?
京晶:但是今晚,這月亮會足夠近得被稱為超級月亮吧?
Mark: That's what I read on the NASA website. What about a blood moon? Do you know that one?
馬克:我在NASA的網站上看到是這么說的。什么是血月呢?這個你知道嗎?
Jingjing: It's when the moon looks red in the sky. Could you remind me what causes it?
京晶:當月亮在空中看著是像是紅色的時候。你能告訴我一下我是什么造成的嗎?
Mark: Earth's shadow changes the light on the moon, making it look red.
馬克:地球的影子改變了月亮上的光線,讓它看上去像紅色。
Jingjing: Oh, like an eclipse, right?
京晶:噢,就像月食嗎?
Mark: Yeah, only it might not be seen to go totally dark.
馬克:是的,只是不完全變黑。
New words: 習語短語
I wish I could say the same. (羨慕地說)好希望我也可以如此這般……
My situation is different from yours, not as good. I'm envious.
a blue moon 藍月
when the moon is full a second time in one month
once in a blue moon 罕有地發生
something happens very seldom
super moon 超級月亮
when the moon's orbit brings it closer to Earth, so that it looks big in the sky
a blood moon 血月
when Earth's shadow makes the moon appear red in the sky
an eclipse 日,月食
when the light from the sun or the moon is momentarily blocked from reaching the Earth (solar eclipse, lunar eclipse)
Dialogue 2
Jingjing: Hey, I've been too busy to look up anything about the super blue blood moon. When can we see it?
京晶:嗨,我一直太忙了沒時間去找超級藍血月的資料。我們什么時候能看呢?
Mark: Well, we're really lucky. The best time is at 6:30 this evening. The sun sets at 5:30; so, it should already be dark.
馬克:我們非常幸運。最佳時間是今晚六點半. 日落是五點半,所以,那會兒應該足夠黑了。
Jingjing: That's fortunate.
京晶:也是幸運哦。
Mark: Not only that. The best visibility is right where we are. People farther east or west aren't going to get such a direct view.
馬克:不僅如此,我們在之處有最好的能見度. 住在更東部或者更西部地方的人們都無法擁有如此之好的視野。
Jingjing: Hmm. I'll try to get out of doors after six this evening. Hopefully I can find a spot that doesn't have so much of our city lights getting in the way.
京晶:嗯,我爭取今晚六點以后能到外面去。希望我能找到一個不要有太多城市燈光干擾的地方。
Mark: Yeah, that could be a challenge around rush hour. Anyway, I hope you can see it. Can you guess how often we get a super blue blood moon?
馬克:在下班高峰時段這可是個挑戰。對了,希望你能順利看到。你能猜到我們多久才能看到一次超級藍血月呢?
Jingjing: You're the one who read about it. Just tell me.
京晶:你可是查過資料的人,告訴我吧。
Mark: It happens once every 150 years.
馬克:每隔150年才會發生一次。
Jingjing: Ah, so this is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.
京晶:所以,這就是一生一次的機會了。
Mark: Yeah, the article I read called it a lunar trifecta.
馬克:是的。我讀的這篇文章把它叫做月亮三連勝。
Jingjing: Well, I'll have to pop outside, even if I'm still working. Where are you planning to go see it?
京晶:那,我必須去出去看了,即使上班也得去. 你打算去哪兒看呢?
Mark: I might shoot out to the suburbs. Just like we were talking two weeks ago, Beijing's subways can take me there in a jiffy.
馬克:我可能會去郊區吧。就像兩周前我們說過的那樣,北京地鐵分分鐘把我送到那兒。
Jingjing: OK. Take some pictures, will you?
京晶:好,照點照片,好嗎?
Mark: Sure thing. I brought my camera.
馬克:那肯定的。我都帶上相機了。
New words: 習語短語
visibility 能見度
how well something can be seen, the conditions for seeing something
get out of doors 出去,到戶外
go outside, when someone usually spends time indoors
a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity 一生一次的機會
a chance to do something that is very uncommon
trifecta 極其罕見的三件事同時發生
three things happening at once, extremely rare
pop outside 在戶外短暫停留
go outside for a short time
shoot out to 迅速去一個距離遙遠的地方并作短暫停留
go to a somewhat distant place quickly and for a short time