In bright red letters, one declares, "Fortune favors the bold."
其中有一張海報印著亮紅色的宣言:“機遇青睞敢于冒險的人。”
Another insists, "Proceed and be bold."
還有一張是:“完成勝過完美。”
My favorite reads, "What would you do if you weren't afraid?"
我最喜歡的一張是:“如果心無恐懼,你會做什么?”
In 2011, Debora Spar, president of Barnard College, an all-women's liberal arts school in New York City, invited me to deliver its commencement address.
2011年,紐約一所文科女校巴納德學院的院長德波拉·斯帕邀請我在這所學校的畢業典禮上發表演說。
This speech was the first time I openly discussed the leadership ambition gap.
這是我第一次公開演講,討論男性和女性在進取心方面的差距。
Standing on the podium, I felt nervous.
站在講臺上也很容易讓我情緒緊張。
I told the members of the graduating class that they should be ambitious not just in pursuing their dreams but in aspiring to become leaders in their fields.
我告訴畢業班的女學生,她們應該有雄心,不僅要勇于追求自己的夢想,還要爭取在自己的領域中成為領導者。
I knew this message could be misinterpreted as my judging women for not making the same choices that I have.
我知道,這個觀點會被誤讀成我在對那些沒有做出和我同樣選擇的女性進行價值判斷。
Nothing could be farther from the truth.
但事實并非如此。
I believe that choice means choice for all of us.
我相信對每個人來說,個人的選擇就意味著群體的選擇;
But I also believe that we need to do more to encourage women to reach for leadership roles.
我也相信女性需要被大力鼓勵去爭取領導者的角色。
If we can't tell women to aim high at a college graduation, when can we?
如果不在她們大學畢業時就告訴她們要放眼高處,那么什么時候才合適呢?
As I addressed the enthusiastic women, I found myself fighting back tears.
當我向畢業班那些熱情高漲的女生們發表演說時,我極力控制著自己不要流下眼淚,
I made it through the speech and concluded with this:
并且一直堅持到以下這段話結束:
You are the promise for a more equal world.
你們是未來那個更加平等的世界的希望。
So my hope for everyone here is that after you walk across this stage,
所以我對你們每個人的期望是:今晚當你走過這個舞臺,
after you get your diploma, after you go out tonight and celebrate hard—you then will lean way in to your career.
在拿到學位大肆慶祝之后,你們會投入到真正的職場當中去。
You will find something you love doing and you will do it with gusto.
你們會找到自己喜歡做的事,并且滿懷熱情地去做。
Find the right career for you and go all the way to the top.
請找到適合自己的事業,而后堅持走向頂峰。
As you walk off this stage today, you start your adult life.
過了今天,你們就將開始成年人的生活。
Start out by aiming high. Try—and try hard.
在出發時,你們應該定下遠大的目標,不斷努力,要非常努力。