I was convinced that I had Fermat in my hands
我確信費馬難題已盡在掌握中,
and there was a conference in Cambridge organised by my advisor, John Coates.
那時在劍橋大學有一個由我的導師約翰·科茨組織的研討會。
I thought that would be a wonderful place.
我認為那兒會是個理想的地方。
It's my old home town, I'd been a graduate student there,
那是我的故鄉,我曾是那兒的研究生,
be a wonderful place to talk about it if I could get it in good shape.
如果我可將證明整理好,那兒將會是談論它的理想的地方。
The name of the lectures that he announced was simply 'Elliptic curves and modular forms'.
他所做的講座的名稱只簡單地為'橢圓曲線和模形式'。
There was no mention of Fermat's last theorem.
沒有提到費馬的最后定理。
Well I was at this conference on L functions and elliptic curves
我坐在這個以L-函數和橢圓曲線為主的研討會之中,
and it was kind of a standard conference and all of the people were there,
它只是種標準研討會,所有的人都在,
didn't seem to be anything out of the ordinary,
看起來沒什么特別之處
until people started telling me that they'd been hearing weird rumours about ANDREW WILES's proposed series of lectures.
直到人們開始告訴我,他們聽到奇怪的傳言,是關于安德魯·懷爾斯要做的講座系列。
I started talking to people and I got more and more precise information. I've no idea how it was spread.
我開始和大家交談,得到了越來越多的準確信息。不清楚是怎么散布開的。
Not from me, not from me.
不是來自我,不是來自我。
Whenever any piece of mathematical news had been in the air,
有任何只言片語的數學方面的消息出現時,
Peter would say oh that's nothing, wait until you hear the big news, there's something big going to break.
彼得就會說,哦,那沒什么,等聽到重大消息吧,會有大事情發生。
Maybe some hints, yeah.
也許有些暗示,是的。
People would ask me leading up to my lectures what exactly I was going to say and I said well, come to my lecture and see.
人們會問,對于我的那些講座,我究竟要說些什么,我說,來聽我的講座了解吧。