Some countries accept that their databases can go out on the world,
少數聯合國機構和幾個國家已經開放了數據庫,
but what we really need is, of course, a search function.
但我們最需要的是數據搜索引擎。
A search function where we can copy the data up to a searchable format and get it out in the world.
依靠搜索引擎,我們先把原始數據復制成可搜索的格式,再把數據發布到全世界。
And what do we hear when we go around? I've done anthropology on the main statistical units.
外界對這個設想的反應如何呢?我嘗試跟幾個大型統計機構交涉。
Everyone says, "It's impossible. This can't be done.
所有人都說:“這是不可能的。這行不通。
Our information is so peculiar in detail, so that cannot be searched as others can be searched.
我們的信息很獨特,不可能像其它數據那樣檢索的出來。
We cannot give the data free to the students, free to the entrepreneurs of the world."
我們也不能免費把數據開放給全世界的學生們和企業部門使用。”
But this is what we would like to see, isn't it? The publicly-funded data is down here.
但這正是我們期望看到的,不是嗎?下邊是公眾資助采集的數據。
And we would like flowers to grow out on the Net.
我們希望互聯網上長出美麗的花朵。
And one of the crucial points is to make them searchable,
關鍵的一步是讓這些數據可被搜索到,
and then people can use the different design tool to animate it there.
并借助軟件實現動畫的演示。
And I have pretty good news for you.
我有個很好的消息要告訴大家。
I have good news that the present, new Head of U.N. Statistics, he doesn't say it's impossible.
新上任的聯合國統計部門的領導并沒有說這是不可能的。
He only says, "We can't do it." And that's a quite clever guy, huh?
他只說:“我們不能這么做。”他很聰明吧?
So we can see a lot happening in data in the coming years.
未來幾年中,我們將會看到數據庫的變化。
We will be able to look at income distributions in completely new ways.
我們會用全新的視角來看收入的分配。
This is the income distribution of China, 1970. This is the income distribution of the United States, 1970.
這是1970年中國的收入分配。這是1970年美國的收入分配。
Almost no overlap. And what has happened?
幾乎沒有重疊。后來呢?
What has happened is this: that China is growing, it's not so equal any longer,
中國在增長,再也不像以前那樣平等了,
and it's appearing here, overlooking the United States. Almost like a ghost, isn't it?
它出現在右邊,俯視著美國,是不是像個鬼一樣?