We heard it in other forms. And who are these? Where are the different countries?
這是個老問題了。中間這些人是誰?他們在哪些國家?
I can show you Africa. This is Africa. 10% the world population, most in poverty.
先看非洲。非洲占世界人口的十分之一,多數是窮人。
This is OECD. The rich country. The country club of the U.N.
這個代表富裕的經合組織成員國,聯合國俱樂部的會員。
And they are over here on this side. Quite an overlap between Africa and OECD.
他們在這邊,很小一部分與非洲重疊。
And this is Latin America. It has everything on this Earth, from the poorest to the richest in Latin America.
這是拉丁美洲。他們可以代表全世界,從最貧窮到最富有的人,都在那里。
And on top of that, we can put East Europe, we can put East Asia, and we put South Asia.
再往上是東歐,東亞還有南亞。
And how did it look like if we go back in time, to about 1970? Then there was more of a hump.
過去是什么樣子的呢?如果我們回到1970年,這里有一個明顯的峰。
And we have most who lived in absolute poverty were Asians.
這些絕對貧困的人群中大多數是亞洲人。
The problem in the world was the poverty in Asia.
那時世界的問題就在于亞洲的貧窮。
And if I now let the world move forward, you will see that while population increases,
如果現在我讓世界向前進,后來隨著人口的增長,
there are hundreds of millions in Asia getting out of poverty and some others getting into poverty,
數以億計的亞洲人擺脫了貧困,另外一些人卻陷入貧窮,
and this is the pattern we have today.
這就是今天的世界。
And the best projection from the World Bank is that this will happen, and we will not have a divided world.
而這是世界銀行對未來最樂觀的預測,世界再也不是貧富懸殊的。
We'll have most people in the middle.
大多數人擁有中等的收入。
Of course it's a logarithmic scale here, but our concept of economy is growth with percent.
當然這是指數冪分布的圖,因為經濟的增長是用百分比來衡量的。
We look upon it as a possibility of percentile increase.
我們用百分比的變化來評估經濟增長。
If I change this, and take GDP per capita instead of family income,
下面把X軸改為人均國內生產總值,
and I turn these individual data into regional data of gross domestic product,
個人的數據轉為各大洲的數據,
and I take the regions down here, the size of the bubble is still the population.
我把地區向下放,球的大小代表人口的多少。
And you have the OECD there, and you have sub-Saharan Africa there,
這個是經合組織國家,這是撒哈拉以南非洲,
and we take off the Arab states there, coming both from Africa and from Asia, and we put them separately,
我們把阿拉伯國家從非洲和亞洲單獨分出來,
and we can expand this axis, and I can give it a new dimension here, by adding the social values there, child survival.
然后把X軸延伸一下,再加上一個新的維度,一個有社會價值的參數,兒童生存率。
Now I have money on that axis, and I have the possibility of children to survive there.
X軸代表經濟,Y軸顯示兒童存活的比率。
In some countries, 99.7% of children survive to five years of age; others, only 70.
一些國家中,99.7%的小孩可以活到5歲以上,另一些國家只有70%。
And here, it seems, there is a gap between OECD, Latin America, East Europe, East Asia, Arab states, South Asia and sub-Saharan Africa.
很明顯可以看到,經合組織成員國和拉丁美洲,東歐,東亞,阿拉伯國家,南亞以及撒哈拉以南非洲地區的差距。
The linearity is very strong between child survival and money.
兒童生存率和經濟之間聯系非常緊密。