Why bother? The game is rigged. My vote won't count.
為什么非要投票呢?選舉被操縱了。我那一票不起作用。
The choices are terrible. Voting is for suckers.
選舉的結果很糟糕。選舉都是騙人的。
Perhaps you've thought some of these things. Perhaps you've even said them.
也許你曾經這么想過。也許你還說過這樣的話。
And if so, you wouldn't be alone, and you wouldn't be entirely wrong.
如果是這樣,那你不是一個人在戰斗,你說的也不是沒有道理。
The game of public policy today is rigged in many ways.
今天的公共選舉在很多方面都被操縱了。
How else would more than half of federal tax breaks flow up to the wealthiest five percent of Americans?
要不然如何解釋過半的聯邦所得稅減免都流向了最富有的5%的人?
And our choices indeed are often terrible.
我們的選擇也經常是可怕的。
For many people across the political spectrum, Exhibit A is the 2016 presidential election.
對許多具有政治背景的人來說,證據就是2016年的總統大選。
But in any year, you can look up and down the ballot and find plenty to be uninspired about.
但不管是哪一年,你去看一下投票結果,令人沮喪的結果比比皆是。
But in spite of all this, I still believe voting matters.
盡管如此,我仍然相信投票是一件重要的事。
And crazy as it may sound, I believe we can revive the joy of voting.
盡管聽起來挺瘋狂,但我相信我們可以重新獲得選舉的樂趣。
Today, I want to talk about how we can do that, and why.
今天,我要談一談我們要怎樣,以及為什么要重新享受選舉。
There used to be a time in American history when voting was fun, when it was much more than just a grim duty to show up at the polls.
在美國歷史上選舉曾經是充滿樂趣的,那時選舉可不僅僅是在投票站露面那么無聊。
That time is called "most of American history."
那個時代被稱為“大部分美國歷史”。