We're going to go on a dive to the deep sea,
好了,我們即將潛入海底深處。
and anyone that's had that lovely opportunity knows that for about two and half hours on the way down,
任何一個有過這種美妙機會的人都知道,在這兩個半小時的下降過程中,
it's a perfectly positively pitch-black world.
是一個完全漆黑的世界。
And we used to see the most mysterious animals out the window that you couldn't describe:
我們透過窗戶會看見世界上各種最神秘的動物,各種無法形容的動物。
these blinking lights -- a world of bioluminescence, like fireflies.
這些閃亮著的光,完美地構成了如螢火蟲般發光的世界。
Dr. Edith Widder -- she's now at the Ocean Research and Conservation Association
研究保護協會的Edith Witter博士發明了一種照相機,
was able to come up with a camera that could capture some of these incredible animals, and that's what you're seeing here on the screen.
這種照相機可以拍下這些令人難以置信的生物。這就是你現在在屏幕上看到的。
That's all bioluminescence. Like I said: just like fireflies. There's a flying turkey under a tree.
他們全部都是生物發光體。像我說的,就像螢火蟲一樣。這是個會飛的火雞,在樹下。
I'm a geologist by training. But I love that.
我知道我現在像是個實習期的地質學家,不過我就是喜歡。
And you see, some of the bioluminescence they use to avoid being eaten, some they use to attract prey,
你可以看到這些生物發出的光,有些是為了避免被吃掉。有些又是為引誘食物上鉤。
but all of it, from an artistic point of view, is just positively amazing.
盡管如此,用藝術的角度來看,這些都如此神奇。
And a lot of what goes on inside -- There's a fish with glowing eyes, pulsating eyes.
再來看看這里發生了些什么--這條魚有著會發光,閃爍的眼睛。
Some of the colors are designed to hypnotize, these lovely patterns.
有些顏色則可以催眠。多么有趣的圖案。
And then this last one, one of my favorites, this pinwheel design. Just absolutely amazing, every single dive.
這是最后一個:也是我的最愛,像轉輪一樣的設計。每一次潛水都充滿著驚喜。
That's the unknown world, and today we've only explored about 3 percent of what's out there in the ocean.
這正是一個未知的世界。到今天為止,我們只探索了其中的極小部分,大約只占了所有海洋的3%。
Already we've found the world's highest mountains, the world's deepest valleys, underwater lakes, underwater waterfalls
到現在,我們已經發現了世界上最高的山峰,最深的峽谷,水下湖,水下瀑布,
a lot of that we shared with you from the stage.
還有我們剛才看到的。
And in a place where we thought no life at all, we find more life, we think,
然而,恰是我們曾經以為根本不可能有生命的地方,我們發現了眾多的生物,
and diversity and density than the tropical rainforest, which tells us that we don't know much about this planet at all.
還有它們的密度和多樣性都超過了熱帶雨林。這告訴我們,我們實際上對自己的星球還不甚了解。
There's still 97 percent, and either that 97 percent is empty or just full of surprises.
還有剩下的97%,那里要不就是一片荒蕪,要不就是充滿驚喜。