And the second is academic ability, which has really come to dominate our view of intelligence,
第二點,學術能力已經成為衡量好學生的主要標準,
because the universities designed the system in their image.
這種標準是那些大學自己制定的。
If you think of it, the whole system of public education around the world is a protracted process of university entrance.
只要你思考一下就會發現,整個教育體系,不論哪個國家的公共教育,都是一種按部就班的程序,最終目標是為了考入大學。
And the consequence is that many highly-talented, brilliant, creative people think they're not,
造成的后果就是許多很有天才的有創造力的學生被鈍化了,
because the thing they were good at at school wasn't valued, or was actually stigmatized.
因為這些學生發現他們的專長在學校并不受重視甚至還受到蔑視。
And I think we can't afford to go on that way.
我認為我們不能再這樣扼殺孩子們的天才了。
In the next 30 years, according to UNESCO, more people worldwide will be graduating through education than since the beginning of history.
根據聯合國教科文組織的統計,今后30年全世界畢業的學生將超過過去的總和。
More people, and it's the combination of all the things we've talked about
這就是人口增長造成的,人口增長關系到我們談論的許多話題,
technology and its transformation effect on work, and demography and the huge explosion in population.
包括技術和技術變革對生產力的影響、人口統計學及人口爆炸。
Suddenly, degrees aren't worth anything. Isn't that true?
很快,文憑就不再有含金量了。是這樣吧?
When I was a student, if you had a degree, you had a job.
我上學那會兒,有文憑就有工作。
If you didn't have a job, it's because you didn't want one. And I didn't want one, frankly.
那時候如果你沒工作,那是因為你不想找。說實話,我那時候就是這樣。
But now kids with degrees are often heading home to carry on playing video games,
但現在的狀況是,孩子們有文憑卻經常呆在家里打電腦游戲,
because you need an MA where the previous job required a BA, and now you need a PhD for the other.
因為以前只要學士學位的工作崗位,現在需要碩士學位,現在還沒畢業的孩子將來就得有個博士學位才好找工作。
It's a process of academic inflation. And it indicates the whole structure of education is shifting beneath our feet.
這就是學術學位的通貨膨脹。這是整個教育體系坍塌的前兆。
We need to radically rethink our view of intelligence.
我們必須從根本上反思我們評價好學生的標準。