I have to admit something to you.
我得向你們坦白一些事。
I've got two kids I mentioned, Sawyer and Avery. They're teenagers.
我剛才提到我的兩個孩子,Sawyer和Avery,他們都十來歲。
And once upon a time, I think I was treating my Sawyer and Avery like little bonsai trees...
有一次,我覺得我對待我的Sawyer和Avery,就像對待盆栽一樣...
that I was going to carefully clip and prune and shape into some perfect form of a human
我想要小心的把他們修修剪剪,塑造成完美的人,
that might just be perfect enough to warrant them admission to one of the most highly selective colleges.
完美到可以把他們送進最受歡迎的大學。
But I've come to realize, after working with thousands of other people's kids --
但是,我在工作中接觸了幾千個別人家的孩子,我才意識到...
and raising two kids of my own, my kids aren't bonsai trees.
我意識到我的兩個孩子,他們不是盆栽。
They're wildflowers of an unknown genus and species --
他們是野花,未知品種的野花...
and it's my job to provide a nourishing environment, to strengthen them through chores
我的工作是提供成長的環境,通過家務和愛,讓他們變得強大,
and to love them so they can love others and receive love and the college, the major, the career, that's up to them.
愛他們,他們才會愛別人,接受愛。上大學、選專業、找工作,都由他們自己。
My job is not to make them become what I would have them become,
我的工作不是把他們變成我想要的樣子,
but to support them in becoming their glorious selves. Thank you.
而是支持他們做輝煌的自己。謝謝。