Nathaniel Branden has been a therapist for fifty years;
納撒尼爾·布蘭登從事心理治療50年了
he's done a lot of rigorous philosophical and psychological research and work on the concept of self-esteem.
他做過許多嚴謹全面的哲學及心理學研究,致力于對自尊概念的探究
We'll visit him more in-depth when we talk about, when we have the week on self-esteem.
等我們進行到自尊課時,會詳細講他的研究
But for now, just a quick quote: "the level of our self-esteem, in another words,
現在我只引用他的一句話:"我們每個人自尊的水平
the level of our belief in ourselves, has profound consequences for every aspect of our existence:
也就是自信的程度,對我們的方方面面有著深遠的影響
how we operate in the workplace, how we deal with people,
比如我們的待人接物
how high we are likely to rise, how much we are likely to achieve and, in the personal realm, with whom we are likely to fall in love,
能取得的地位,能取得多少成就,還比如在個人領域,我們會與誰墜入愛河
how we interact with our spouse, children, and friends, what level of personal happiness we attain."
我們與配偶,孩子及朋友的關系,個人幸福的水平"
Very low levels of correlation between material affluence and wellbeing,
物質富足與幸福感或生活地點與幸福感

or between where we live and wellbeing, very high correlation between self-esteem and wellbeing.
屬于低度線性相關,而自尊與幸福感屬于高度線性相關
In most research what we found is a 0.7 correlation between the two constructs.
大多數研究發現兩者的相關系數可以達到0.7
This is what I found in my dissertation as well.
我的論文也獲得了相同結論
So self-esteem matters.
所以自尊非常重要
The internal matters and what we are doing when we enhance when we raise our levels of belief in ourselves
內在因素很重要,我們提高自信水平時,發生在我們身上的是
is we are transforming our mind, we are changing the form, so that we see we interact, we see the world differently,
我們在轉變精神,改變"容器",這樣我們看世界的角度不同了
we perceive different things, we experience things in a different way.
有了不同的理解與感悟,處事待人的方法不同了
Whether it's successes that we then celebrate, or failures that we then learn from and turn into opportunities.
慶祝成功,從失敗中學習,轉化為機遇