It's like your impudence to say so. I expected it of you.
說話這么無禮倒是你的脾性,我料定你會這樣。
I heard it in your step as you crossed the threshold.
你跨過門檻的時候,我從你的腳步聲里就聽出來了。
Did you? You've a quick ear.
是嗎?你的耳朵真尖。
I have, and a quick eye and a quick brain.
不錯,而且眼睛亮,腦子快。
You need them all in your trade.
干你這一行倒是都需要的。
I do, especially when I've customers like you to deal with. Why don't you tremble?
我是需要的,尤其是對付像你這樣的顧客的時候。你干嘛不發抖?
I'm not cold.
我并不冷。
Why don't you turn pale?
你為什么臉不發白?
I am not sick.
我沒有病。
Why don't you consult my art?
你為什么不來請教我的技藝?
I'm not silly.
我不傻。
The old crone "nichered" a laugh under her bonnet and bandage.
這老太婆在帽子和帶子底下爆發出了一陣笑聲。
She then drew out a short black pipe, and lighting it began to smoke.
隨后取出一個短短的煙筒,點上煙,開始抽了起來。
Having indulged a while in this sedative, she raised her bent body,
她在這份鎮靜劑里沉迷了一會兒后,便直起了彎著的腰,
took the pipe from her lips, and while gazing steadily at the fire,
從嘴里取下煙筒,一面呆呆地盯著爐火,
said very deliberately — "You are cold, you are sick, and you are silly."
一面不慌不忙地說:"你很冷;你有病;你很傻。"
"Prove it," I rejoined.
"拿出證據來,"我回答。
I will, in few words. You are cold, because you are alone. No contact strikes the fire from you that is in you.
一定,三言兩語就行。你很冷,因為你孤身一人,沒有交往。激發不了內心的火花。
You are sick, because the best of feelings, the highest and the sweetest given to man, keeps far away from you.
你病了,因為給予男人的最好、最高尚、最甜蜜的感情,與你無緣。
You are silly, because, suffer as you may, you will not beckon it to approach,
你很傻,因為盡管你很痛苦,你卻既不會主動去召喚它靠近你,
nor will you stir one step to meet it where it waits you.
也不會跨出一步,上它等候你的地方去迎接它。