She arched her face to the palm, and pored over it without touching it.
她把臉貼近我手掌,細細看了起來,但沒有觸碰它。
"It is too fine," said she.
"太細嫩了,"她說。
I can make nothing of such a hand as that, almost without lines.
這樣的手我什么也看不出來,幾乎沒有皺紋。
Besides, what is in a palm? Destiny is not written there.
況且,手掌里會有什么呢?命運又不刻在那兒。"
"I believe you," said I.
"我相信你,"我說。
"No," she continued, "it is in the face, on the forehead, about the eyes,
"不,"她繼續說,"它刻在臉上,在額頭,在眼睛周圍,在眸子里面,
in the lines of the mouth. Kneel, and lift up your head."
在嘴巴的線條上。跪下來,抬起你的頭來。"
"Ah! now you are coming to reality," I said, as I obeyed her.
"哦!你現在可回到現實中來了,"我一面按她的話做,一面說。
I shall begin to put some faith in you presently.
我馬上開始有些相信你了。
I knelt within half a yard of her.
我跪在離她半碼遠的地方。
She stirred the fire, so that a ripple of light broke from the disturbed coal.
她撥著爐火,在翻動過的煤塊中,射出了一輪光圈。
The glare, however, as she sat, only threw her face into deeper shadow. Mine, it illumined.
因為她坐著,那光焰只會使她的臉蒙上更深的陰影,而我的面容卻被照亮了。
"I wonder with what feelings you came to me to-night," she said, when she had examined me a while.
"我不知道你是帶著什么樣的心情上我這兒來的,"她仔細打量了我一會兒后說。
I wonder what thoughts are busy in your heart
你在那邊房間里,幾小時幾小時枯坐著,
during all the hours you sit in yonder room with the fine people flitting before you like shapes in a magic-lantern.
面對一群貴人,像幻燈中的影子那么晃動著,這時你心里會有什么想法呢。
Just as little sympathetic communion passing between you and them
這些人與你沒有什么情感的交流,
as if they were really mere shadows of human forms, and not the actual substance.
好像不過是外表似人的影子,而不是實實在在的人。