Now, some of you might be thinking, "Hold on a minute.
在座的有些人現在一定可能在想,“得了吧。
She doesn't look very much like an ocean rower.
她長得一點也不像個橫渡大洋者。
Isn't she meant to be about this tall and about this wide and maybe look a bit more like these guys?"
她是不是長得這么高,或者這么強壯,是不是和這些家伙們有那么一點相似呢?”
You'll notice, they've all got something that I don't.
大家看得出他們具備的一些東西我的確沒有。
Well, I don't know what you're thinking, but I'm talking about the beards.
我不知道大家心里想的是什么,我是指我沒有他們那樣的胡子。
And no matter how long I've spent on the ocean, I haven't yet managed to muster a decent beard, and I hope that it remains that way.
無論我在大洋上渡過多長時間,我依然無法讓自己擁有他們那樣的漂亮胡子,我希望還是保持原狀吧。
For a long time, I didn't believe that I could have a big adventure.
在很長一段時間里,我都無法相信自己可以去冒險。
The story that I told myself was that adventurers looked like this. I didn't look the part.
我所認為的冒險,就是這些人所做的??瓷先ノ也贿m合這樣的冒險。
I thought there were them and there were us, and I was not one of them.
我曾經覺得我們和他們是兩種人,而我不能成為他們中的一員。
So for 11 years, I conformed. I did what people from my kind of background were supposed to do.
所以在11年里,我默守陳規,我完成了我這個背景的人應該做的事情。
I was working in an office in London as a management consultant.
我以前在倫敦的一間辦公室里,作管理顧問的工作。
And I think I knew from day one that it wasn't the right job for me.
我想我從工作的第一天就知道這份工作并不對我的心思。
But that kind of conditioning just kept me there for so many years,
但是那份工作的豐厚待遇還是讓我從事了多年,
until I reached my mid-30s and I thought, "You know, I'm not getting any younger. "
一直到我三十四、五歲的時候,我意識到,“是啊,我已經不再年輕?!?/div>
I feel like I've got a purpose in this life, and I don't know what it is,
我知道我的人生當中還有追求,但我不知道是什么,
but I'm pretty certain that management consultancy is not it.
我十分確定的是,管理顧問工作絕不是我追求的目標。
So, fast forward a few years. I'd gone through some changes.
幾年的時間轉瞬即逝。我也經歷了一些改變。
To try and answer that question of, "What am I supposed to be doing with my life?"
我認真思考回答了這個問題,“在我的人生里,我到底最想做什么?”
I sat down one day and wrote two versions of my own obituary, the one that I wanted, a life of adventure,
終于有一天,我坐下來為自己寫了兩種不同的訃告,一個是我想要的,是充滿了冒險經歷的一生,
and the one that I was actually heading for which was a nice, normal, pleasant life,
而另一個則是按照我現在的生活軌跡所能達到的,一個享受正常、安逸、舒適生活的一生,
but it wasn't where I wanted to be by the end of my life.
而在我生命終結時,后者并不是我想要達到的目標。
I wanted to live a life that I could be proud of.
我希望擁有一個我為之自豪的一生。