Dialogue 1
Jingjing visits Mark where he works
京晶拜訪馬克工作的地方
Mark: Hey Jingjing, I didn't see you come in.
馬克:嗨,京晶,我沒看見你進來了。
Jingjing: Are you busy? I could come back a little later.
京晶:你忙嗎?我可以過會兒再過來。
Mark: Not exactly. I'll be just a couple minutes. Have a seat.
馬克:不呢,不那么忙。我一會兒就好,你坐。
Jingjing: OK, no rush.
京晶:好,不急。
Mark: Sorry about that. I was in the middle of a game on my phone.
馬克:真是抱歉,我正在手機上玩一個游戲。
Jingjing: You kept me waiting to play a game on your phone?
京晶:你讓我在這兒干等著你在手機上玩游戲?
Mark: Well, I wouldn't usually, but this was a multiplayer game, kind of a tournament. My team has one a week, and I do two rounds.
馬克:那個,我平時也不會這么干,但這是個多人/多玩家的游戲,類似錦標賽。我這隊一周有一個,我打兩輪。
Jingjing: Oh, I see. So you didn't want to let your teammates down.
京晶:哦,原來如此。所以,你不想讓你的隊友們失望。
Mark: Yeah. Since you're my good friend, I bet you understand.
馬克:是的。既然你是我的好朋友,我打賭你會理解的。
Jingjing: I understand that smartphone games are catching on. But you know real life is more important, right?
京晶:我能理解手游確實很流行,吸引人。但你也知道真實生活更重要,對嗎?
Mark: Ha ha, of course it is. That's why I only play simple games that take a few minutes at a time.
馬克:哈哈,那當然了。這就是為什么我只玩一些一次只花幾分鐘的簡單游戲。
Jingjing: What are your three favourite games?
京晶:你最喜歡哪三個游戲?
Mark: Hmm, Clash of Clans, Boom Beach, and Clash Royale.
馬克:嗯,部落沖突,海島奇兵,皇室戰爭。
Jingjing: Okay, and who are the prime ministers of the UK, Canada, and Australia?
京晶:好吧,那英國、加拿大,澳大利亞的總理都是誰?
Mark: Theresa May, Justin Trudeau, ...and... Malcolm Turnbull.
馬克:特蕾莎·梅,賈斯廷·特魯多,還有…馬爾科姆·特恩布爾
Jingjing: Well, you're off the hook, I guess. I thought you might not know as much about the world as you know about games on your phone.
京晶:我想,你聰明地出坑了。我本以為你對世界的了解不如你對手游的了解多呢。
Mark: Uh, I had to look one up on my phone just now. Luckily I wasn't playing a game.
馬克:額,我剛才不得不用手機查了一個。幸好,我沒在玩游戲。
Jingjing: You cheater!
京晶:你個作弊的家伙!
New words: 習語短語:
I'll be just a couple minutes. 稍等我幾分鐘,很快就好
I'm too busy to pay attention to you, but will be free in two minutes or so.
(alternately, I'll just be a minute, I'll just be five minutes, etc.)
in the middle of busy with 正忙著做某事
(a meeting, a phone call, a big project, etc)
tournament 一系列打升級的游戲
a series of games played for rank
catching on 變得更加流行
becoming more popular
off the hook
no longer in trouble
擺脫麻煩了,出坑了,不再受責備了
(also means no longer responsible for or blamed for)
Dialogue 2
the same day, after work
同一天,下班后
Jingjing: Did you get much done today?
京晶:今天工作完成得多嗎?
Mark: Yeah, our team won the tournament. And I finished editing those articles I had to do.
馬克:嗯呢,我的隊贏了錦標賽,而且我編輯完了了必須弄完的文章。
Jingjing: Well, that sounds like a good balance of work and play.
京晶:嗬,聽上去工作和游戲平衡得不錯嘛。
Mark: For me, a short game on my phone breaks up the monotony of work, especially in the afternoon when it's easy to feel sleepy.
馬克:對我來說,在手機上玩個小游戲可以驅趕工作的沉悶,尤其在容易犯困的下午。
Jingjing: You could try standing up and walking around for a while, or going out and buying some fresh fruit. Be careful not to become addicted to smartphone games.
京晶:你可以試著站起來四處走走,或者出去買點新鮮水果。小心不要太沉迷于手游了。
Mark: Do you think that's an actual thing—smartphone game addiction, or computer game addiction?
馬克:你覺得那些真的是個事嗎?——手游上癮或者網游上癮
Jingjing: I read that it's similar to gambling addiction, even though it's not considered by professionals to be a mental disorder. In my book, people who don't do enough things in real life, and care more about their in-game achievements, are game addicts.
京晶:我讀到過這些跟賭癮相似,雖然專業人士不會認為這是某種精神上的失調。在我的書里,那些在現實世界里較少作為,更關注網游成就的人,就是游戲成癮者。
Mark: Sounds like you've got it figured out. I heard about one guy who was playing an augmented reality game and walked into a restricted part of a courthouse.
馬克:聽上去你已經完全弄明白了。我聽說過一個男的玩了一款AR實景游戲時,走進了法院的禁入區。
Jingjing: What happened to him?
京晶:他怎么了?
Mark: He was following the game, I guess, and ignored the signs and security guards. So, he got arrested.
馬克:我猜,他跟隨著游戲,無視標識和警衛,所以,他被逮捕了。
Jingjing: Good thing it was a courthouse and not an army base.
京晶:幸好是法院不是軍事基地呢。
Mark: Yeah, I don't think he got into too much trouble. But it goes to show what could go wrong if you pay attention to your phone instead of real life.
馬克:是的。我認為他也沒惹太大的麻煩。但是這說明了如果你把注意力都放在手機而不是真實生活上,都會出什么錯。
Jingjing: I think the worst thing is to play games when you're supposed to be working.
京晶:我覺得最糟糕的是當你該工作的時候玩游戲。
Mark: Games are fun, and they give a happy sense of accomplishment when work might drag on. But if you've ever lost all your progress in a game and had to start over, you've probably realized how meaningless smartphone games are.
馬克:游戲是很好玩的,工作可能要拖延的時候它們能帶來一種令人快樂的成就感。但是如果你失去了在游戲里的所有通關的成績,不得不從頭開始,你可能就會意識到手游是多么沒意思。
Jingjing: That's a good way of putting it.
京晶:這個看法不錯。
New words: 習語短語:
get much done 完成了大部分工作
accomplish much, finish much work
monotony 單調的,無聊的,乏味的
a boring situation
an actual thing 真實的情況
a real condition (In this case, smartphone/computer game addiction is not a diagnosable disorder according to the DSM-IV.)
in-game achievements 游戲成就
Scores and prizes in games, especially those that are published on leaderboards or result in changes to the user's status
Augmented reality AR實景
computer-generated images/sounds are added to real scenery when seen through a mobile phone camera (An example of an augmented reality game is Pokémon GO, by Niantic, which has 65 million users and has led people to collectively walk the distance to Pluto.)
直譯過來就是擴增現實或增強現實,是一種將虛擬內容和真實存在的內容進行實時融合,形成虛擬、現實之間互動的技術。AR實景是虛擬現實的延伸和發展,在虛擬現實的基礎上增加了真實環境,從而創造出全新的體驗。AR實景必須是將虛幻、現實兩者進行實時融合,靜態的合成不能屬于AR實景的范疇。
drag on 拖沓,延長
take a long time, without being interesting